Fyrinnae Haul and Post Potter Malaise

/
2 Comments
After having dropped my jar of Velvet Vampire a couple weeks ago, I panicked and stalked the Fyrinnae site until I was able to put in an order. I think, intentional or not, Fyrinnae has an interesting business model going- operating on sheer terror as to the continued availability of their products. I've read older reviews and seen swatches of colors they once offered but have since discontinued, and I get anstsy little butterflies in my stomach, certain that one day I'm going to get online to make an order and my favorite colors will be gone, or the ones I'd been itching to try will disappear, not to mention all the awesome looking colors I could have gotten had I known about them a bit sooner.

 So I put in an order on July 7th and my order was shipped the 13th, and I got in on the 15th. So don't let the "permitted" time frame deter you from ordering, my order consisted of ten samples, not a huge order but not a tiny one either, so they are really much quicker than the time frame suggests.

 I got my ten samples, all wrapped up in adorable Panda tissue paper, and received Sugar Skulls as my free sample. I swear they have fantastic sample choosing skillz, as while I was trying to narrow my order down to 10, I sadly put Sugar Skulls on the backburner. I was quite happy to get it, and it is such a pretty bright pink with gold sparkles.


These are all gorgeous colors, and pictures just don't show how sparkly they are. Nijiro in particular is an ivory that can go on very sheer like a highlight color, but can be patted on with Pixie Epoxy and be very white with rainbow sparkles. I got Electric Koi because I just don't have many oranges, and I tried to wear it today and realized oranges just don't work on me, they make me look sort of sick. I can wear coppers and golds easily, but straight up Halloween-ish orange just doesn't fly for me.  I suspect it would look awesome on blue eyes though. Fire Opal looks very dark brown-copperish in the jar, but when I tried to blend it into my crease today, it turned a little grey. I think it would look best, again, simply patted on the lid with Pixie Epoxy with minimal blending. Those are the only two I've tried, but they all swatched beautifully.

Blue Whale, Velvet Vampire, Hypercool, Lucky Charmed, Fire Opal

Sugar Skulls, Curiouser and Curiouser, Nijiro, Dragon's Wing,  Electric Koi, We're All Mad Here
Yesterday was a very good, but very bittersweet day. I got to go swimming again at a local pool, and that made me happy. I hadn't realized how much I'd missed going swimming, and I'm trying to go a lot more this summer. That's one of the places I feel most alive, most peaceful, most present. That, and being out in the woods, anything to do with nature. Water and woods, that's what fulfills me most. Off work for a few days this week so I'm going to try to get out swimming a few more times...I really can't wait.

I went swimming with G and a friend, and she offered to take me to see Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2 last night. I had planned to wait until the initial rush to see it subsided, and honestly because I didn't really want my whole Potter experience to end any sooner than necessary. I've been reading the books (many, many times) and watching the movies (which got progressing better after the saccharine sweet Chris Columbus films were out of the way) for over 10 years, so I had a definite sense of apprehension about seeing the last film. I wasn't quite ready, but she was anxious to see it and offered to pay, so I agreed.

Don't worry, no spoilers here. I loved the film, but I don't think anything would have lived up to my expectations perfectly. It was very tight and well-executed, and a lot of the back stories and subplots and small details were left out in favor of a more action-oriented film. I think that was for the best because it would have gotten sloppy and bogged down quite easily...but still. It could have been 4 hours and still not have explained everything I would have liked shown. Some things just happened way too fast, and didn't quite get the emotional attention I think they deserved, but it was still moving enough that I cried a bit, and I almost never cry at movies.

The actual film isn't the point...the point is...what now? I feel a little empty, a little sad. Even though the last book was read years ago and I've known the ending for a while now..there was always something more to look forward to. I guess the whole Pottermore website that's in the works may be cool, but still, again. I will be going back and reading the books again, as every time I seem to learn something new, find some new detail to savor. It's just a bittersweet feeling, letting all those characters, that reality go, in a way. I wonder why I feel so let down, tell myself, it's just a book. But that doesn't make it any less valid, less vital. I think Rowling must have had her readers, mourning the end of her tale, in mind when she has Dumbledore tell Harry, "Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" It's  real enough to those who experience it, and that's all that really matters.


You may also like

2 comments :

  1. I got teary several times during the movie. It really is the end of an era and I didn't even realise until I was there.

    I'm grateful to have 'grown up' with Harry, to have been able to go to a midnight book release and see movies with a huge group of fellow fans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started reading the books around 2000-2001, when I started college, so the books have definitely marked the years for me. I was there for midnight releases of the last two books as well. How could something that's been a part of your life for so long finally ending possibly NOT throw you for a loop? Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me comments if anything strikes your fancy or if you have any helpful suggestions. Remember, I'm no expert and am just sharing my truth. Hopefully you will find something useful to take with you!

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts