October 2011 Birchbox

/
1 Comments
After a decidedly ho-hum Birchbox in September, I was really hoping they would step up their game for October. And I must say I am pretty pleased with this month's box. No nail polish, no perfume, just a nice selection of products to try. Here's what I got:


  1. Amika Obliphica Hair Treatment
  2. Anastasia Beverly Hills HydraFull Gloss
  3. Clark's Botanicals Intense Radiance Mask
  4. Laura Geller Spackle Tinted Under Makeup Primer in Bronze
  5. The Laundress Wool & Cashmere Shampoo

This is one of those boxes where I will enjoy everything in it for what it's worth, but not really to the degree of needing to order a full size because I can never be without it again. But that's OK. I literally can't afford to adore every product I try anyway. So much of the experience is simply enjoying new things, and focusing on a few totally stellar products to save up for (for me, I'm getting close to getting a Juice Beauty Apple Peel with my Birchbox Points).

I have gotten a few hair/body oils in Birchboxes before, so I didn't really need anymore, especially considering how fine my hair is and easily weighed down. That said, I really like this treatment. It smells wonderful and the bottle is fairly large and will last a while since you only need a couple drops per use. It didn't seem to make my hair greasy and actually left it feeling nice and soft. My hair does get staticky and prone to fly aways during the winter, so maybe this will help.

The lip gloss is quite tiny, but the color is a flattering peach, and it feels nice on. Nothing to write home about, but useful to keep in a cramped purse.




I love masks and peels and would be blissfully happy if every Birchbox I got contained one, so I was pleased to get the Clark's mask. Going to enjoy this, but the full size price tag of 72 dollars is a bit prohibitive.

I also love trying new primers and radiance serums, so I was excited to try the Spackle. It looks quite dark in the tube, but it has a light gel consistency, and goes from looking like this:




To this upon blending:




So while the tint is not a problem for fair skin, I don't think it works as well as my favorite primer, Avon Magix Face Perfector. It didn't really mattify my skin upon application. After a day of wearing the Spackle my face felt oilier and my makeup didn't seem to last as long. It might work better for drier skin types.

The Laundress shampoo was an interesting addition. I haven't used it yet, but think it would be great to take along for weekend trips if you want to hand wash your delicates.

All in all, this was a much better box that some I've gotten previously. As a new company, there will certainly be some growing pains for Birchbox, but hopefully the recent run of bummer boxes has been a learning experience for them and they will continue to expand and improve. This box was a great start.




You may also like

1 comment :

  1. The stuff in this box does look pretty good! The Spackle and the gloss are both very pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me comments if anything strikes your fancy or if you have any helpful suggestions. Remember, I'm no expert and am just sharing my truth. Hopefully you will find something useful to take with you!

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts