Nomtastic: Sweets Coma

/
6 Comments
I could easily use that as my excuse for not posting lately, but really it's just been the usual business and holiday drama. Things went fairly smoothly at my parents, and the
 get-together with G's family was nice as always. I got some things I had really been needing, er, wanting, and G and I got a few joint gifts. *Cue my dad's dorky jokes: "What, you got some joints for Christmas? Can I have some?"*

Um, no dad.

I did, however, get a food processor. I had envied G's sister's food processor at Thanksgiving and got probably a little too excited at the sight of them shredding a huge block of cheese in no time. So's G's dad and stepmom got me the same model, and I told them, "Oh yeah, I'm gonna go home and process something!" They also got me a neat rotating spice rack, with 20 jars! I'm sort of picky about my spices though, so I might replace the contents of some of the jars with my own spices.

Then, G's sister noticed me post a glowing recommendation of Solstice Scents on my Facebook wall, and she was my Secret Santa so she gave me a 25.00 gift certificate. Yep, already spent it.

My parents actually got us a TV too, and it was high time since our TV is ancient, like, one with a huge, heavy back to it. And G's gift to me was a new bed! This sounds like a lot of big ticket items at once, but our bed is probably 13 years old or older, he had it for years before we met and it is a thing of evil and pain and misery. I can't sleep a full night on it and frequently wake up unable to move and when I finally do I groan "ow, ow, ow" , hunched over on my way to the bathroom like I'm a hundred years old. Not cute, not fun. So, this was a wholly unfrivolous purchase. I ordered a memory foam mattress and platform bed from Overstock and should be getting them soon. It made me nervous ordering sight unseen, but I swear if it turns out to be a concrete slab it will feel better than our current bed. So now I have spent my New Year's weekend cleaning out our *somewhat* untidy bedroom and rearranging the furniture so things will look nicer, more organized, and more worthy of our awesome new bed.

Plus, I got my new camera, which does so much more than my old one and it will take me a while to get the hang of it. Thus far it shows immense promise!

Now, as promised, here are some pics of the cornucopia of gustatory joy that I made this holiday season. Keep in mind that these are the leftovers from sorting everything out into gifts for the four main couples/families at G's get-together:



I made:
Peanut butter cups
Peppermint patties (these are so much fun and so easy!)
Shortbread
Apple streusel cheesecake bars
Mint chocolate meringues (these were each piped over a Hershey's Kiss so they each contained a chocolate center!)
Raspberry Jam Linzer Pinwheels
Chocolate Cranberry Gingerbread Cookies
Fudge Cups
Chocolate Caramel Cookies
Kahlua Marshmallows
Not pictured was my Kahlua Roulade that fell apart and I turned it into a trifle instead. Not pretty, but pretty nomtastic.

I might have gone a little overboard.

I didn't rest much this holiday season.






And here is a shot of the little gifts I had made up. I have to admit I was pretty proud of these, they were a bit precious!


If anyone wants detailed info/recipes/tutorials on anything I made, just leave me a comment!





You may also like

6 comments :

  1. It sounds like your Christmas was truly blessed! A TV, bed, and camera! Yippee! I hope you like your new bed. I replaced my ten year old mattress last year. A big slurge for me, paying almost $900. It felt great in the store but months later, I don't like it. I totally cracked up at your dad's dorky joke (i'm sure he's a baby boomer, like myself, and we're dorks). Clicking ENLARGE on all the baked goods :) mmmm... puts me in a sugar comma just looking. I looove shortbread! Looking foward to seeing what you got with your SS gift certificate (what a nice gift!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, So many sweets! You are such a great cook. I bet it took a lot of effort. How nice of you to share with everyone. Such personal gifts :)
    Would love some recipes, preferably something that doesn't need a lot of baking (we have a terrible oven)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those treats all look yummy. Ooh at the handmade peanut butter cups especially.

    Sounds like you had a good Christmas. The Solstice Scents gift was very thoughtful, as is the TV. My family still has a few of those giant TVs; one of which squished my fingers when I foolishly tried to move it.

    Ouch at the bed. What a relief there's finally a new one.

    Take care and all the best for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Lynda: Yes, these items were a long time coming! I've been wanting a new camera all year and the bed and TV have long since worn out their welcome! I tracked sales and used discount codes on Overstock, so we managed to only pay $440 for both our mattress and wood platform, we shall see if it was truly a bargain!

    @Su: Thanks! I may do a post in the future on marshmallow making and maybe the peanut butter cups and peppermint patties (no baking required!)

    @Iris: Thanks so much, it was a pretty bountiful holiday! I am going to give our old TV to a friend who really needs one, and I am SO dreading transporting it. It is only 27 inches, but ridiculously heavy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I'm hungry just looking at these pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @olgiepolgie: Ah, then my work here is done ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me comments if anything strikes your fancy or if you have any helpful suggestions. Remember, I'm no expert and am just sharing my truth. Hopefully you will find something useful to take with you!

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts