Birchbox-February 2012

/
2 Comments
I got my Birchbox early this month- on Valentine's Day. What a sweet little surprise, as I usually get it around the 17th-18th. Birchbox ditched Streamlite (hopefully for good but at least for this month), and I think that really helped with delivery times.

And the Birchbox gods smiled favorably on me again in that, out of 22 possible boxes this month, I got the EXACT one I wanted most! I actually controlled myself and did not peek at my box's contents online before opening. I was standing over my box when it arrived, hoping I would not get one of the few boxes that I would have considered duds, muttering "ok, no whammies, no whammies..." while G looked at me like I was nuts.

And lo and behold...an awesome Birchbox for me!


Here's what I got:


I haven't tried the Eye Rock liners, but they seem interesting. Possibly disastrous, but maybe fun. We shall see. The sample size was good, four pairs:




I can't really wear tinted moisturizer on its own and call it a day, so the (admittedly tiny) Jouer sample is something I'll use as a quick illuminator over my primer but under my foundation. I already have Tarte's Amazonian Clay Illuminating Serum though which I use for that purpose and I don't see the Jouer as working any better than that, but luckily the color was not too dark for me. It blended in quite well:



I love me some exfoliation, so I was very excited to try the Microfoliant. It's a unique delivery system, a shaker, like a container for baby powder, meant to be mixed with water into a paste. That means, do not take this into the shower or you will have a big mess on your hands, which makes it a little inconvenient. It has a citrusy smell, which I'm not sure if I like or not.
I've tried it a few times and it really doesn't seem abrasive enough for me. After using it my skin feels pretty smooth but also a bit dry. Not irritated, but I need moisturizer afterwards. It's not bad but not something I'd purchase a full size of.

There were also two extras: a heart shaped nail file (last time I checked I still have no nails, so this will just be for smoothing out my rough feet) and some indie band dowloads.

Now, the Beauty Blender. I did not know I NEEDED this until I tried it. A lot of people were hoping to get this, and while I was mildy intrigued, I have been wearing mineral foundation for a long time now so it didn't really blip on my radar. I did buy a liquid foundation on a whim a couple weeks ago, Revlon Photo Ready, and after using a regular foundation brush I wasn't all that impressed. It seemed cakey and not worth the effort when my Meow Cosmetics foundation was working just fine. So when I got the Beauty Blender, I thought I'd try it again, and the difference is HUGE. I did not expect it to apply so evenly and smoothly, and I feel like I was able to use less, or at least look like I used less. I was really skeptical that the sort of sponge-painting motion that I used to apply the makeup would look good, but it did! I have used it just three times, so it's always possible it will lose it's luster.The first two days were already good skin days, so the blender had an advantage that way. But today was a relatively bad skin day and I had some pretty angry red marks to cover, and it actually worked.I don't want to jump the gun, and I will stick with this routine to see if it continues to impress, but this little beauty could be holy grail material.

Birchbox was definitely worth the ten bucks this month!






You may also like

2 comments :

  1. I would be happy with the contents. Microfoliant is awesome stuff and Beauty Blender too (though I should still get the hang of it) The eye liner tattoos look interesting but not sure how I'd work with them, I am clumsy :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great box this month! I know so many people who do like the beauty blender, I just haven't ever picked one up. Keep us updated if you continue to like it!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me comments if anything strikes your fancy or if you have any helpful suggestions. Remember, I'm no expert and am just sharing my truth. Hopefully you will find something useful to take with you!

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts