First Lush Haul!

/
4 Comments
This title is not quite accurate for two reasons. One, this technically is not my first Lush haul, and enough time has lapsed between my making this haul and writing this that I have already managed to acquire another, so this post will also include my second, er, third, Lush haul.

My first Lush haul was actually almost four years ago, on my totally epic trip to NYC. I planned my obsessive little heart out over that trip, and Lush was one of the stops I really wanted to make. G and I went with a friend who clearly had never experienced my indecisive, contemplative, loitering shopping style. "So, we'll meet at X in about 15 minutes?" he asked. G just chuckled. Ah, how cute. Not even close, dude.

I remember a few of the products I tried with that haul, the Mask of Magnaminty and  some bath bombs. I liked everything, so I have no idea why I never bothered to order from them since then, since I didn't think there were any Lush stores near me. Probably because Lush is a little stupid expensive. I can't bring myself to purchase a single bath bomb for six dollars for an everyday sort of use, but for a special occasion, it's some wholesome frivolous fun. Since I am going away this week for my birthday, I thought it would be a good excuse to stock up on a few fun bath thingys to take with me.

One of my favorite parts of vacation is taking a long hot bath in a bathroom that's not mine. See, that lodge bathroom is going to be totally clean, uncluttered and new (of course, I realize there is some amount of self-delusion involved in really believing all of that). Still, no cleaning products competing for space with a sink crowded with products, no crumpled towels or dusty corners I keep forgetting to get with the Swiffer.  Bright, efficient, and totally not my responsibility. That, dear reader,is my idea of a damn good time. Throw in a yummy, fizzy bath bomb and I know I will be a supremely happy camper.

I ordered a variety of products to make the shipping costs worth it, and it did take a while to reach me since it ships from Canada. I believe it was around 7-10 days. I was a little worried the long transit time would destroy the products, and some of them did arrive a little melted or beat up looking, but all were intact. Just not as pretty as if I had purchased them in store. So I would be reluctant to buy them online if they were going to be gifts.

Anyway, here's my first haul. The package came with a huge Lush catalog, which was great because I love poring over catalogs. I'm one of those weirdos that actually looks at the Swiss Colony catalogs that appear in the mailbox every holiday season, dreaming up the ideal combination of sausage, cheese, and pastry to make my Christmas perfect. Yeah. Scary.
I haven't used everything yet but I do have thoughts on a few products.

Bubbleroons in Yuzu Cocoa and Rose Jam
Massage Bar in Hottie
Bath Bombs in Dragon's Egg and Twilight
Toothy Tabs in Dirty
Tea Tree and Token to the Forest Gods Toner Tabs

I also got a sample of Alkmaar soap. I was stoked to get a sample, which I wasn't expecting at all.




I have never been a bar soap person, I guess because most I tried years ago left that too squeaky-clean feeling that I didn't like at all. But I gave Alkmaar a chance and I love the smell, jasmine and honeysuckle, and while it has a little of that squeaky- clean feeling, it seems to disappear as soon as I get out of the shower.


The massage bars melt rather quickly into virtually a massage oil, so I recommend cutting the bar into pieces to conserve it. I cut mine into fourths and am keeping the rest in the fridge. The smell of Hottie is a little medicinal and maybe not ideal for um, sensual massage, if that's what you're looking for. I will use this but probably wouldn't buy this particular bar again.


Pure curiosity made me purchase the Dirty Toothy Tabs, which I am informed were made with love by Ryan. Well, I have a love/hate relationship with Ryan and the toothy tabs. My weird food texture issues flare up when crunching up the tabs, which taste like not much else than baking soda. It is truthfully a little gag-worthy. It just feels wrong. But once I start brushing my teeth with them, it foams up impressively and leaves my teeth feeling quite clean. The taste leaves a little to be desired so I follow with ACT mouthwash, and it's all good. I swear it has whitened my teeth a little, so I am going to keep using these. In fact, I bought some more in my second Lush Haul.

I've only tried the Yuzu and Cocoa Bubbleroon, which you crumble under running water to make a nice bubbly bath. They say you split them in half for two baths, but I was able to split mine into fourths and still got perfectly sufficient bubbles. Yuzu and Cocoa is supposed to be orange and chocolate scented, but I only get orange. Still, these smell nice and left the water a light creamsicle orange and quite moisturizing. I would try these again.



So because I didn't get everything I wanted from my first haul, I checked online and realized that a mall *somewhat* near me actually has a Lush store inside Macy's. I just never went to Macy's there so I never knew. I paid it a visit a couple weeks ago and it seemed to have a good selection of products, I don't recall seeing any of the Retro products but they did have the Fresh Face Masks, which is what I was really interested in. You can't buy them online (duh, they're fresh) and it wasn't practical for me to try them when I was on my NYC trip.

The only thing I don't really like about the Lush inside Macy's is that it's more of a very compact, space-efficient kiosk, and there were like five employees just waiting to swoop on me the moment I expressed any interest in browsing. One thing you should know about me is that I am a very independent shopper. I am not chatty, I rarely want to know about the current specials, and on the rare occasion I have a question, I will ask. Nothing aggravates or makes me more anxious than feeling an employee-like shadow hovering over me. I know, I know, they're just doing their job. Still, I'm sensing a Lush trend because if I recall my NYC trip to Lush correctly, their employees are friendly, but way too up in your grill for my taste. Seriously. Back off. I will probably go back to that Lush to save on shipping, but for me running the gauntlet of salespeople and mentally girding my loins really detracts from my shopping experience.


They weren't totally useless though, they did give me samples, so I will be nice now.
Haul part deux!

Coconut deodorant body powder
Sakura bath bomb
Brazened Honey face mask
Alkmaar soap
Atomic Toothy Tabs
samples of Fresh Farmacy soap and Silky Underwear powder



One of the salespeople was observant enough to give me a relevant sample, the Silky Underwear powder, which has a lovely scent similar to the Alkmaar soap. She was good, as I like it more than the Coconut powder I bought and will definitely buy it next time. I am a little obsessive about feeling fresh and dry, so I use body powder a lot. Coconut is marketed as a deodorant powder, and I was under no delusion that I could use this powder as a deodorant replacement. Just to dust on after bathing. The scent is not really fresh coconut, or even dry coconut, but more musty coconut. It's usable and functional, but the Silky Underwear actually smells fantastic, so I will use the Coconut up, and then it's
bye-bye birdie.

The Atomic Toothy Tabs (this pack was also made by Ryan! It's a small world, after all) were much more palatable than the Dirty ones. These have a smell/taste akin to a very potent gingerbread cookie batter, heavy on clove and cinnamon. Quite pungent, but at least it tastes like something, whereas the Dirty tabs were baking soda death. Still a little odd and a departure from the usual toothpaste taste, but it works really well and is worth the initial surrealness.

I got my Fresh Face Mask in Brazened Honey, which smells like honey, and looks like something I probably could whip up in the kitchen given the time, inclination, and free access to the bulk section of the health food store. These must be refrigerated and have rather short shelf lives. Mine is around 3 weeks, and there is probably enough in the tub for 4-5 uses. I figure I go to this mall once every month or two, so that schedule should work out nicely for me.


So that's been my first real foray in Lush products, and I must say while the products are fun and at times functional, I do prefer my favorite indie brands for actual perfumes and most body products. I will keep getting some products from Lush, but some items are just way too expensive to really pique my interest. Also, some of more shelf-stable items contain parabens, which I am not an expert on nor am alarmist about, but I do *try* to avoid them just in case.

Have you tried anything from Lush? Anything you think I should try and/or avoid?

Thanks for reading!



You may also like

4 comments :

  1. Thanks for the review. :)

    I love Alkmaar soap. For product recommends: Lush's face moisturisers have worked well for me. I got recommendations from the associates and purchased four when they had tiny pots. I'm on my third one and they've all worked well. A few small dabs is all I need, so they've lasted for a while.

    Their shave cream (Dirty) and foot lotion are both really nice too. The only item which is hit or miss is their shower gel, depending on which one you purchase. I liked the thicker gels since they may be used as shampoo. So the Glogg one was far too watery for my tastes. It's Raining Men was good.

    I found their shower jellies weird and difficult to use IMO but I believe they may be discontinuing all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! First of all this part made me lol so much because it's so true in my own like

    ""So, we'll meet at X in about 15 minutes?" he asked. G just chuckled. Ah, how cute. Not even close, dude."

    HAHAHA!

    Second, I agree on the Hottie, I got it and neither Tony or I were super impressed (not fans of the smell and I don't think it was all that "warming") although it didn't give him hives, so yay! Also I LOVE Alkmaar soap! SMELLS SO GOOD, but I wish it lasted a little longer.

    This post is making me want to go buy bath bombs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the brazened honey masque. Did you look at the ingredients? There's a ton, you couldn't make it yourself. ;p It works really well for me and using it every other day, one tub lasts me almost a month. You really don't need much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Iris: Thanks for the insights!
    @Jess: It was pretty hilarious, he's a very practical get-it-done kinda guy so he probably thought he was being generous with that time frame. I wish they had an Alkmaar lotion or something leave-on, it really smells nice.
    @PonPon: LOL, the ingedients list was covered by Molly's face, who made it. It certainly seems very rustic, but apparently it's not.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me comments if anything strikes your fancy or if you have any helpful suggestions. Remember, I'm no expert and am just sharing my truth. Hopefully you will find something useful to take with you!

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts