Haus of Gloi-Spring 2012 and Spring Reverie

/
5 Comments
I'm so sorry for the lateness of this review. Haus of Gloi is about to start production on summer scents and I'm just now getting to reviewing Spring. Fail, and I'm sorry. Sick parents, sick me, and birthday vacay all conspired against me this month. Good thing though, I have gotten over the honeymoon phase of my orders (though the Reverie order is still new enough to invoke little butterflies) so I can hopefully plow through these scents with little fanfare and long-winded soliloquies. Though, who knows, maybe that's the reason why you read my blog :)

Here is order numero uno:

Moon Dog Bubbling Scrub
Selkie Pumpkin Butter
Mintha Whipped Soap
Selkie Whipped Soap
Ploughman Pumpkin Butter
Aether Pumpkin Butter
Perfume samples in all the Spring scents, free sample of Lassi


I had also ordered a full size perfume in Moon Dog (most fantastic summery coconut scent, but not at all predictable or sunscreenish.) It had somehow been overlooked though in my order. I sent an email, received a prompt reply and apology, and my perfume was in my hands less than a week later.

I also got a full size of the unscented Aether Pumpkin Butter, which is useful and cost efficient for incorporating perfume oils that may not have a leave-on product equivalent. I can use that full size to perfume three sample size jars with whatever perfume oil I like.

Onto the scents:

Milkmaid
Flushed, but demure. Fresh milk, clean linens, pale musk and pink sweet pea blossom.

This is intensely sweet, creamy and almost cloying at first sniff, but oh, it is really pretty and has grown on me immensely. Indeed milky, and floral, it's not my "typical" scent but it's one of those that creep up on you. It's one of the longest lasting HoG scents I've tried, with more throw.

Selkie
The break of waves, gurgling sea foam, kelp, rain tinged air, sand smoothed driftwood and wild sage.

Classic ocean scent. Not a fake, cheap ocean scent, but quite classic. It gives me a scent memory of this body splash that my mom probably picked up for me from Big Lots when I was around 13, called Love's Clean and Natural. I know, that sounds like a horrible analogy to make and not an awesome recommendation, but it brings back good memories, so I mean it with the best intentions. This is that scent's upscale, more nuanced, alcohol-free cousin. I remember exactly because I still have the ancient bottle in my little scent museum.


Mintha
Fresh parsley, ginger grass, Oregon mint, ho wood and a touch of litsea.


Bath and Body Works used to have a line of "Ginger Mentha" products. I had a body scrub which was neat because it was warming, but also minty. It seems to be mostly discontinued now (of course) but there may still be some products available via their website. Mintha is similar to this; sort of astringent, sharp, and cooling. I liked this as a wash off product, but it's a little too medicinal to me as perfume.


Lassi
Cool, fresh mango cream, Tunisian orange blossom absolute, black ginger to ground, splash of green tea and a soft squeeze of lime juice.


This is the one scent from the spring release I did not order, as I was certain the fruity notes would just not work for me. And HoG sent it to me as my free sample. Heh. This is not so bad as I thought. The creamy element keeps the mango from getting overpowering or too sweet. I can't pick up on the other notes but it does smell just like a refreshing fruity drink.

La Florida
A breath of fresh florals, bergamot, ylang ylang, lavender, violet leaf, rose absolute, orange blossoms, lemon zest and a touch of clove.

The only scent from the bunch that I really did not like. Not sure what's going on with it, but it's just too much. Very loud floral, and all the notes are competing for dominance. It's sort of humid smelling too, almost suffocating. The note line-up sounds wonderful, but it just didn't work for me.


Ploughman
Well worn leather, dirt n' dandelions, carrot, a pinch of tobacco and a light sheen of feral skin musk.

Ah, smells like rolling around in the earth in the middle of a spring rain. If you like Samhain as I do, you will love Ploughman. They aren't the same scent, but they are both dirty in the best possible way. Samhain is cooler and leafier, more herbal, whereas Ploughman is more dirt, skin, carrots freshly plucked from the field. At first this scent was so subtle on me that it smelled almost like how my skin actually would smell naturally in such conditions, it simply smells like the thing it aspires to evoke. Over time it's developed even more and is definitely one of my favorite HoG scents.


I received my Reverie order literally a half hour before G and I left for our trip (excellent timing, mail person!), so I just packed that little box with me and took some pictures of it on our lodge room's balcony, overlooking a lake. Not too shabby, eh?

What I got:

Milkmaid Pumpkin Butter (I said I liked it!)
Honeysuckle Lemon Curd Bubbling Scrub (just because)
Banana Puddin' Pumpkin Butter and Whipped Soap
Perfume samples in Haus Chai, Banana Puddin', and White Blueberry



And the scents:

Honeysuckle Lemon Curd
Rich and lemony with a touch of fresh honeysuckle.

I've been on a honeysuckle kick, I guess. I really like the Alkmaar soap from Lush I got recently, so I thought I'd just go for it. I'm not (as I might have mentioned before) a citrusy perfume person, but this is yumm-o. YUMM-O. Like lemon meringue pie or those soft frosted lemon cookies. It's tart lemon, but softer, creamier, a baked good note. Honeysuckle, I can't really find it. But this is delicious regardless. Imagine that.

White Blueberry
Blueberries awash with white vanilla sugar, cream and a sprig of white thyme

Again, HoG gives me the one scent I didn't order from a release as my free sample. I like how they push me out of my comfort zone and give me a chance to try the one's I'm iffy about. This one is not bad at all, but a little one-dimensional. Sort of like a blueberry scratch and sniff sticker, which is not bad in and of itself, but not really my thing. I suspect I might like this better as a soap or lotion.

Haus Chai
Creamy chai tea, with mandarins and burnt myrrh.

I don't really care for tea or Chai, so I got this for G, who loves the stuff. However, I decided I might just keep this for myself. I smell mostly an spicy amber smell, along with mandarin. It's not as foody, but quite soft and sensual. Sorry G. This one's mine.

Banana Puddin'
Classic banana pudding with a touch of bourbon vanilla. Slightly soggy vanilla wafers included

Excuse me while I wipe the drool from my chin. The whipped soap especially... fluffy, creamy and so...banana pudding-like. Very comforting. Quite interesting when I think about how Solstice Scents Banana Nut Bread smelled when I tried it a few months ago, and how there is such a distinct difference between the banana bread and the banana pudding incarnations. Fascinating, how they are both distinctly what they are.


HoG summer items will be released on May 13th, so if you want to try any Spring or  Reverie items, get them now, as they've been going fast!
That's all for today, thanks for reading as always!





You may also like

5 comments :

  1. Moon Dog is totally my summer scent, I love the coconut, I get so excited when the weather picks up and I can start wearing it...not that I couldn't before, but it just doesn't seem as right!

    ALSO. I am not going to make some banana pudding. No joke :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of these sound soooo amazing! I'm holding out for the SS spring release this Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jess: I love how it's combined with sandalwood and clove, so it's a warmer, drier coconut scent, not the typical tropical coconut variety.
    I ate a banana pudding cup today. I think the HoG smells better ;)

    @Peach: That release is going to be killer. I am sooooo stoked for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how do you mix the pumpkin butter with the perfume oil? I bought a small aether PB to do the same thing but I am not sure how to go about doing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure how successful this is depends on the scent (some perfumes may not be strong enough to come through in the lotion, etc) but I really have just poured a few drops of oil into the aether and mixed it up. I test it to make sure the scent is as strong as I like, and add more as necessary. I've done it for a few scents and it has worked fine for me. I think 1/2 a sample vial size of perfume would be enough to scent a sample size butter, as a rough guesstimate.

      Delete

Please leave me comments if anything strikes your fancy or if you have any helpful suggestions. Remember, I'm no expert and am just sharing my truth. Hopefully you will find something useful to take with you!

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts