Haus of Gloi-Summer 2012

/
0 Comments
Ah, another season at Haus of Gloi. With summer I've completed my first full year with their seasonal releases, and this one does not disappoint.

Here's what I got:

Beguiled Bubbling Scrub
Beguiled Whipped Soap
The Brier Path Whipped Soap
The Brier Path Pumpkin Butter
Perfume samples in The Brier Path, Beguiled, Narcosa, and Zazz (freebie)
Lipbalm in Pineapple Fennel



Pineapple Fennel Lip Balm

This sounded like such an odd combination to me that I just had to try it. I mean, fennel has an anise/licorice-like flavor profile, so I wondered how that would pair up with pineapple. I was pleasantly surprised, this smells like the inside of a bag of classic jelly beans. The ones with all the fruity flavors mixed with the anise ones. Love it.


Narcosa
A thick haze of tonka and black vanilla, three jasmines, tuberose and ylang ylang.

A thick haze indeed. This is just far too heady, heavy and potent for me, especially for summer. I far prefer HoG's usage of tuberose in the Valentine's Day release scent Odette, which paired it with a "fresh laundry" type smell. On me this applies with a thud, and doesn't develop or go anywhere. Suffocating, it just sits there oppressively, like waking up in the morning with my cat Maisy on my chest, staring at me, about to suck out my breath or something.



The Brier Path
Sun drenched trail leading to a day dream of ripe berries and woods’ rose, rich forest loam, ozone, dark amber and cream.

Oh, sweet relief! I can breathe again! This is fan-bloody-tastic. It sounds so busy: fruits, florals, woods, resins, atmosphere, but it blends so well and is perfectly evocative of an afternoon walk in summery woods. I would say this completes a sort of season trifecta with Samhain and Ploughman, which to me are also like their respective season personified, the earth and air elements. If I could only wear one single scent this summer, this may be it. The rose refines it, the berries are sweet and playful, the woods ground it. This can go from day to night and back again. It's wonderful.

Zazz
When something feels a bit lackluster, dull and boring, it obviously is lacking, zazz. To fix this we recommend something definitely zazzy and not overly complicated: Tart cranberry, pink grapefruit, sparkling champagne all shook up with crushed ginger root.

I just knew I would get this as my free sample, the scent I didn't order and would never consider liking. And OK, I actually don't like this much, but not for the obvious grapefruit reason. In the vial this smells like cranberry ginger ale, straight up. And I'm quite fond of cranberry ginger ale, so this is nice. It smells effervescent, like if I breathe in too hard I'll get bubbles up my nose. I don't get pink grapefruit, or whatever's there is upstaged by the cranberry. Fine by me. This is interesting, maybe promising. On my skin though, it goes all wonky and turns into hairspray or like some sort of cleaning product. It's just too fresh, too clean, sanitized. It doesn't belong on my skin at all. I let G smell it on me, and he said "eww, it's like soap. Get it away." You get the picture.

Beguiled
Lemon cake made with the tang of fresh buttermilk, raspberry coulis - an otherwise innocent cake corrupted by cardamom and deceptive pink peppercorns.

This scent makes my eyes roll back in my head while I make really inappropriate happy noises. Be forewarned, it's just one of those scents that smells like an insanely yummy cake and if you like cake, it will make you very hungry. But then, as it dries down, it softens and smells less like cake and more like a really delicate, soft perfume with just the tiniest touch of spice. I can't really say much else. It is simply glorious, and quite beguiling.





You may also like

No comments:

Please leave me comments if anything strikes your fancy or if you have any helpful suggestions. Remember, I'm no expert and am just sharing my truth. Hopefully you will find something useful to take with you!

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts