Nomtastic! Honey-Lemon-Ginger Marshmallows

/
4 Comments
I admit it, I can sometimes have a wee competitive streak. Sometimes it's the only thing that can get me off my butt and compel me to do something somewhat challenging, that glimmering hope on the horizon that I can do such-and-such as well as so-and-so. And the resulting sensation of pure invincibility. So, this time marshmallows are the result. Not just any marshmallows, of course, and certainly not the tough, bland sponge variety that you come across at the grocery. No, today we shall be making Honey-Lemon-Ginger marshmallows. Would you like to know why?


Here's why: Jess from Wanderlusted shared a post not long ago about an Etsy shop that I have drooled over many a time that designs gourmet caramels and marshmallows among other things. Oh, the bacon! The sea salt! The squashy little mounds of marshmallowy joy! I want! I want!

Grump. So expensive. Humph. Pout.
But they're so pretty, Liber Vix. And so...gourmet. Exotic flavors. Lovely presentation. Just cough up the money, you cheapskate, they're undoubtedly worth it.
Perhaps I shall, but first, I'm gonna make some marshmallows myself, and see if that doesn't take the edge off that burning artisanal urge.

I've made marshmallows a few times, and honestly, once you get over the whole boiling hot sugar thing, they aren't too terribly difficult. A great deal of it is waiting: waiting for the sugar mixture to reach the proper temperature, waiting for the mixer to whip it into shiny, glossy, fluffy oblivion, waiting a few hours to overnight for them to cure.

 Plus, they are amazingly versatile; the flavor possibilities are endless!
This recipe was adapted from the Honey Marshmallow recipe in Marshmallows: Homemade Gourmet Treats. If you have even the slightest interest in marshmallow making, get this book. It's a great resource, and gives you the basics so you will feel more comfortable adding your own personal touches. If you're avoiding HFCS, this particular recipe replaces all of it with honey. The cookbook also uses marshmallow syrup as an alternative to corn syrup in its recipes, though corn syrup works fine, too.


 
Here is what you need:

Bloom:  3 Tablespoons unflavored gelatin (equal to 3 packets)
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice plus 2 tablespoons reserved ginger water.

Base: 3/4 cup ginger infused water (instructions below)
1 1/4 cup honey (I used raw honey, but you can experiment with different varieties)
pinch salt
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar

 zest of three lemons
gingersnaps
fresh ginger
ground ginger

You also need a pan to pour the marshmallow batter in (I used a 9 X 9), plastic wrap, a large pot for the base (this mixture gets especially bubbly)
non-stick spray, a candy thermometer, pizza cutter, and a durable stand mixer with a whisk attachment.


For this recipe, I infused the water used for the base with both fresh and ground ginger. The cookbook I use advises not using fresh gingeroot in marshmallow recipes due to an enzyme it contains that causes the gelatin to break down. So what I did to get a potent ginger flavor is to peel and chop a two inch piece of ginger into small pieces. Add it to one cup of water and 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger in a small pot over medium heat. Simmer for five minutes, then let cool. Strain out the pieces of ginger. You will need 3/4 cup of infusion for the base, and two tablespoons for the bloom.

Zest three lemons (set aside)and juice them until you have 1/2 cup, and combine it with two tablespoons reserved ginger infusion. Set in refrigerator to chill a bit.

Meanwhile, prepare the pan by lining it with plastic wrap and spraying lightly with cooking spray. Many recipes involve putting a mixture of confectioner's sugar and cornstarch in the bottom of the pan for ease of removal later (because marshmallow batter sticks to EVERYTHING), but since we will be coating these with cookie crumbs later you want all the sides to remain moist.



Add the lemon juice/ginger infusion to the bowl of a stand mixer. Sprinkle the gelatin over it and whisk until incorporated. Leave it alone to bloom while cooking the base.





Add the ginger infusion, honey, salt, and sugar to the large pot. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, cover, and boil the base for 2 minutes.


Uncover, and do not stir the mixture after this point. Insert a candy thermometer and continue boiling until it reaches 250 degrees F. It will get very bubbly!



Turn off heat, and *carefully* pour the base into the bowl of the stand mixer. Stir briefly with wooden spoon.




The mixture will be very hot and very liquid at first, so gradually increase the speed to high or cover mixer with a towel to avoid splashing for the first few minutes.

Beat for 10 to 12 minutes, until mixture lightens and thickens considerably and begins to look more "stringy" as the whisk moves around the bowl. The batter is also ready when the bowl feels just barely lukewarm to the touch. At the very end, add the reserved lemon zest and beat just until incorporated.



Moving quickly, pour the batter into the prepared pan. The batter starts to set almost immediately so don't waste any time getting it out of the bowl!
I cover the pan with plastic wrap to cure a few hours to overnight, but you can leave it uncovered as well.


When you're ready to cut the marshmallows, crush some gingersnaps in a plastic bag until fine (or use a food processor).


On top of some wax or parchment paper, sprinkle a light layer or crumbs. Unmold the marshmallow pan and carefully remove the plastic wrap. Using a pizza cutter, cut the marshmallows into squares. Toss them in the gingersnap crumbs. Store at room temperature for up to two weeks.


And voila, you have made marshmallows! 
My next mission: some sort of fancy caramel...I so love a challenge! 





You may also like

4 comments :

  1. These look soooo good! I'm going to have to try making them! I have never made marshmallows before... hope I don't screw them up! I LOVE the toasted coconut marshmallows you can get at the store, maybe I will have to try making some of them too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really isn't too hard, they just seem more exotic and mysterious because people don't usually think of marshmallows as something you can actually make, rather than things that just miraculously appear in the jet-puffed bag. Trust me, homemade ones are SO much better, fresher, softer and more intensely flavored. You can really taste the honey, ginger, and tang of lemon in these. You could definitely roll them in toasted coconut and I promise they would blow the grocery kind away. I have tried those too but have not gone back since making my own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wowzers! you really did get off your butt :) Personally, I could live on gourmet caramels and marshmallows. I wouldn't dare buy them because I have no self control and they'd be gone in less than an hour. With that said, I'm totally envious that you own a Kitchen aid mixer! The marshmallows look DELISH!!!

    ps.. love the new look of your blog ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just thought it was time for a change. I got my mixer from my parents maybe four years ago. They bought it refurbished from Kitchenaid so they spent a LOT less than new. It works great though :) I also make an awesome chocolate chili marshmallow. Forget the so-called chocolate marshmallows at the store. These have more of a firm dark chocolate mousse flavor/texture, with ribbons of chocolate throughout and just a touch of spiciness. I should do a post on those!

      Delete

Please leave me comments if anything strikes your fancy or if you have any helpful suggestions. Remember, I'm no expert and am just sharing my truth. Hopefully you will find something useful to take with you!

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts