Nomtastic! Malabar Farm and Restaurant

/
0 Comments
I don't know what it is. Every time I visit this place I'm compelled to take pictures of my food. Perhaps because it's always so damn pretty (and nomtastic), and it's not a place I can visit every day. This past week was my third visit to the Malabar Farm State Park area, and while it's technically in the middle of nowhere (notice the abundance of farmland photos) it is beautiful and peaceful and always a good time for us. The farm was started by novelist Louis Bromfield, and I suppose the location's claim to fame is that Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall were married in Bromfield's home. The farm was also an experiment in natural resource conservation and self-sufficiency and also is all about utilizing green energy.

I love that the restaurant, which is located close to the farm, depends on local produce and meats to create seasonal menus that are clean, simple, non-fussy, and totally delicious and high quality. I think the most interesting thing about it is that it's so remote, and yet has so much history and atmosphere, very rustic and homey. After all, one of our waitresses at the Mohican State Park lodge admitted to us that the only thing to do for fun around there besides outdoor activities is to hang out at the Super Walmart. Poor girl. The first time we went there it was mostly out of necessity. And we keep going back because the Malabar Farm Restaurant is such a charming place, truly a diamond in the rough. Service has been consistently great, this time the manager came out to ask us how everything was, and we listened to her talk to another couple at a neighboring table for a good twenty minutes about how the restaurant runs, their recent renovation, where they get their ingredients, etc. We could tell there is a huge amount of pride put into the dishes. I mean, in such a remote area, you better be good if people are going to make the trip. And they are. Very.


Outside the window by our table. There is a patio for eating outside, but it was a little windy so we decided to stay inside.

I got pot roast, which sounds so humble, but it was so good. It was made with braised short ribs, and everything just tasted so fresh and cooked to fork tender-y goodness. I don't eat carrots, and I ate mine, because they actually tasted sweet and hugged the line between too firm and too mushy with expert precision, the same with the potatoes. For someone with food texture issues, it was a bit of a minor miracle. I told G, "look, I'm eating my carrots!" I was so proud.
And may I mention that this lunch was 12 dollars? 12 dollars! G got a flank steak with roasted beets and spring onions for 18, and it was also fantastic.




And then, for dessert, my customary creme brulee, this time, in maple.
HEAVEN.


And here, a very happy Liber Vix, stuffing her gullet:


 G digging into his tiramisu, which was topped with what I'm pretty sure was chocolate ganache:



Here are some shots of the farm, and me making various animal friends:








 We were also able to take a drive up to a scenic overlook:


A gorgeous view of the surrounding farmland:





And finally, the Shawshank Redemption oak tree, still standing!



You may also like

No comments:

Please leave me comments if anything strikes your fancy or if you have any helpful suggestions. Remember, I'm no expert and am just sharing my truth. Hopefully you will find something useful to take with you!

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts