Solstice Scents-Summer 2012

/
2 Comments
Summer at Solstice Scents arrived a little late this year, but I am still really excited about this collection. As much of a fall-baby as I am, these scents are making me wish summer would last a bit longer!

Here's what I got:

Tropical Moon Sugared Amber Whipped Cleansing Scrub
Tenebrous Mist Glace
Perfume samples in
Summer Garden
Gulf Breeze
Sirocco
Cardamom Rose Sugar
Tropical Moon
Honeysuckle Green Tea



Tenebrous Mist
Musk, White Amber, Sea Spray, Sandalwood, Bay Rum, Tea, Smoke

I got Tenebrous Mist as one of my very first samples from Solstice Scents, and loved it. I wasn't able to get a full size at the time, but I knew I had to get it with this release! Such an unusual, salty, smokey, musky, atmospheric scent. Basically the best ocean inspired scent I have ever tried.

Summer Garden
Very Green Fragrance of Petitgrain, Lantana, Katrafay, Carrot Seed, Tomato Leaf, Lettuce, Mimosa Absolute & More

As much as I like Haus of Gloi's Insalata Nocturna, Summer Garden takes the fresh-from-the-garden theme to the next level. Insalata Nocturna is heavier on a fresh citrus note with the tomato in the background, but Summer Garden is tomato front and center. It's a little unnerving how fresh it is. The tomato doesn't last too long though, and it settles into just a very refreshing, green, earthy scent.

Gulf Breeze
Aquatic Scent of Ocean, Salt & Stormy Skies

 
I was pretty sure no ocean scent could begin to compete with Tenebrous Mist, and I was right. TM is an unsettled, oceanic powerhouse, whereas Gulf Breeze is just more of a traditional ocean scent. Not quite stormy as the description suggests, this scent seems far calmer and gentler to me. It's cool and watery, yes, but there is also something...fruity? It really must be my nose, because I get something that reminds me of watermelon, which I'm pretty sure is not in there, but I smell it, just the same. If Tenebrous Mist is too out-there for you, Gulf Breeze might be the answer.


Honeysuckle Green Tea
Sweet Honeysuckle Blooms, Green Tea, Lemon Myrtle

 
This is just like walking by a bunch of honeysuckle bushes on a really hot, humid day. To me the cold sniff is really strong and I'm wary of even applying it, but the honeysuckle starts to mellow and the green tea comes forward. It smells lovely on some sniffs as it dries down and then on others it seems like its gone a bit sour. There are moments where I really like this, and then others when I really don't think this one works for me.

Sirocco
Moroccan Spices, Sandalwood, Hot Baked Earth, Myrrh Resin, Precious Saffron Threads & Oud

This is a wonderfully rich, dry, earthy, incense-y blend that really does bring to mind some kind of hot, shimmering desert climate. I think this would be well-received by those who liked Cascade of Gold, and, oddly enough, fall/winter scents like Flintlock and Outpost. There is something in this that reminds me of those, but I can't quite put my finger on it, perhaps some of the woodsy notes. This is a perfectly unisex scent too.

Tropical Moon
Coconut, Tuberose, Tahitian Gardenia, Lime Essential Oil & Pink Lotus Attar

A few years back Avon had a perfume called Instant Vacation, which I really liked. Tropical Moon reminds me a lot of it, but it's little softer, smoother and, while clearly tropically festive, less obvious and not super suntan-lotionish. The tuberose and coconut meld beautifully together, just like tuberose and vanilla did with Nightgown this past Valentine's Day. I wish it lasted a little longer on my skin, but it's still one of my favorites from this release.

Cardamom Rose Sugar
Brown Sugar, Cardamom EO, Moroccan Rose and Bulgarian Rose


This scent struck me as rather odd and unusual when first reading about it. Really, what could I expect a scent like that to smell like? And then I got it, smelled it, and it all made perfect sense. It's liquefied Gulab Jamun! Gulab Jamun is this yummy little Indian dessert consisting of milky, fried doughnut-like balls soaked in a sugar syrup, often enhanced with rosewater and cardamom. I got some the other day and smelled them, just to compare. Yep, that's it. Except Cardamom Rose Sugar is even stronger and richer, and utterly delectable. The rose is very subtle, and the cardamom which was so potent initially fades into a very exotic, darkly sugary scent. I think it's a perfect transitional scent for between summer and fall. Delicious!





You may also like

2 comments :

  1. So many great fragrances in this collection. I just had to smell Tenebrows Mist again. It was sitting in my "other" pile of fragrances that weren't YES for me. I do have to say it is a great fragrance! My faves from this collection were Kumquat & Green Mango, Gulf Breeze, Tropical Moon, and Sirocco. I was really surprised by Sirocco. I did get a whipped soap in Florida Fruit Stand that smells pretty good too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say Tenebrous Mist, Tropical Moon and Cardamom Rose Sugar were my top faves, though Sirocco was also very nice! I am so sad Conjure and Black Leather/Red Lace were discontinued! I'm thinking the fall release will be pretty awesome though :)

      Delete

Please leave me comments if anything strikes your fancy or if you have any helpful suggestions. Remember, I'm no expert and am just sharing my truth. Hopefully you will find something useful to take with you!

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts