First Impressions: FizzButter

/
6 Comments
When I recently had a bit of a falling-out with LUSH, I decided to try and find another etailer that offered affordable, awesome bath bombs and other such bath frillery. The company FizzButter was suggested to me and I checked them out and read as many reviews as I could find. They seemed reputable and have a fairly active presence on Facebook (weekly giveaways) so I thought I would make them my first stop on my little bath bomb journey.

The first great thing about FizzButter is the pricing. The bath bombs are large (all are 8 ounces compared to LUSH's largest I believe being around 6.3 ounces). They are also about half the price of LUSH's more expensive bombs. All of Fizzbutter's bombs are $3.49. They also offer bubble bars and soaps for $3.59 and $3.69 respectively. The website is really simple and easy to navigate, the pictures are clear and appealing. They explain that their bombs are unique and super moisturizing because they use unrefined shea butter as the star ingredient. Shipping is also reasonable; they use a sliding scale depending on your purchase amount. Free shipping comes with a $39.00 order. So, after all the technical stuff, onto my order.

I went with a small order, four bath bombs and one bubble bar. Not being a huge soap person, I skipped the massage bar soaps (though they do look nice). My shipping was $5.00. Speaking of shipping, it was ridiculously fast. I ordered on August 24th, and I received a shipping notice less than 2 hours after I placed my order. I got my package via FedEx on the 29th.

Maisy was very intrigued by the box, which was large and filled with packing peanuts, covered with cute tissue paper, an invoice, and an instruction card.






And here is my order (there were no samples or extras, though I'd expect that to be difficult given the nature of the product):

Bath bombs in:
Magic Carpet Ride
Honey Ginger Champagne
Lush Jasmine
Sweet Grass
Lullaby Bubble Bar



The first thing you'll notice is how perfectly formed these are. No crumbling or breakage at all. They arrive tightly shrink-wrapped, so you can't really smell them through the wrappings. I totally appreciate the care that is taken packing these, but that is also one of things I dislike, all of these...



I really wish paper fill or biodegradeable peanuts could be used, because it was just a massive box for such a small order. It will make me hesitant to purchase in the future unless it's a large order that I feel justifies all those peanuts.



That said, these all look lovely. The labels contain the ingredients too, a plus.

Aside from being different colors and scents, these bombs have a homogeneous quality, which is a pro or con depending on how you look at it. Meaning, they are all the same shape and size exactly. No surprises or qualities really unique to any bomb in particular. There are no dried flowers, no seaweed, no cinnamon sticks, no crackling candy. No gaggle of glitter pixies will pop out of your bomb and serenade you with "Moon River." These bombs smell nice, tint your water a pretty color, and moisturize very well. That is all. If you prefer your drain to not be clogged by all the frilly extras, these bombs are for you.


Onto the scents and other such LUSH comparisons:

Magic Carpet Ride

This has a distinctly Bath and Body Works type scent. I'm not sure which exactly it is, but it could be Dark Kiss or Black Amethyst. These were some of the last few BBW scents I've actually liked so this bomb smells nostalgic to me. I liked this one a lot.

Honey Ginger Champagne

Huh. Was NOT expecting this, but it smells quite like Zazz from Haus of Gloi. I don't get much or any honey, but it has the same ginger-ale type effervescence that also has a tinge of super-fresh cleaning product. Zazz is not my favorite HoG scent, but it wasn't too bad as a bath bomb.

Lush Jasmine

Pure jasmine. The closest to a LUSH-type scent of the ones I purchased.

Sweet Grass

Light, fresh, green, inoffensive and soothing.

These scent comments are pretty brief because, really, the scents aren't too incredibly complex or unique. But they are perfectly pleasant and nice for a bath. I didn't really expect them to be like perfumes, with multiple olfactory layers to sift through. On the website the bombs' individual ingredients are listed, and a few have essential oils noted. Most of them, however, seem to be mostly stock fragrance oils. There are a few impostor fragrance-type bombs, which seems a little generic to me, but I can see the appeal for those who really like those scents. The scents are pretty strong once the packages are opened, but not like LUSH bombs which I've noticed have the power to actually fill a room with scent.

 
I purchased a Twilight bomb from LUSH for comparison, which is one of their larger bombs. It looks a bit bigger than the FizzButter bomb, but the Fizzbutter bomb is more dense and feels heftier. I think perhaps because the Twilight bomb has layers and maybe more air. The FizzButter bomb is solid and uniform throughout.




In use, the FizzButter bombs tend to sink to the bottom of the tub (they are heavy and dense) and fizz away quickly and evenly. They don't break apart, they just get smaller and smaller...

The first bomb I used was the Lush Jasmine, and I used it whole. This proved to be far more moisturizing than I needed. When they say FizzButter, the emphasis is on BUTTER. There was literally a sheen of oil in the tub from all the melted butters, and it felt like I'd used an oil-based sugar scrub, it left that layer of oil behind. It was just too much for me, so I've taken to cutting them in half. Which, incidentally, is really easy. I put them in a plastic bag, hold the tip of a screwdriver on the middle seam, and tap a few times firmly with a hammer. They break right apart, cleanly. This makes them even more economical, and still quite moisturizing.


The bubble bars work just as well as LUSH's, in my opinion. The consistency is pretty much the same. Granted, they are all the same shape and general appearance so, again, if you are looking for novelty or that rustic handmade appearance as in LUSH bubble bars, these might seem a bit boring to you. Still, they're all going to the same place, and they do the same thing. I can get several uses out of each bar, and get tons of long-lasting bubbles. I do like that they have corresponding scents in both the bubble bars and bath bombs.


So would I buy from FizzButter again? I would! For the price, these are totally functional and well-made and fun to use. I don't feel like these have to be just for special occasions, like I do with LUSH products. If you are looking for a more affordable alternative to LUSH and don't might sacrificing some of the fancier ingredients, FizzButter is definitely worth a try!




You may also like

6 comments :

  1. Great review! To tell you the truth, I've never tried anything from lush, so I don't know what all the hype is about. But all of these products look and sound great! I'll be interested to see what other bath/body companies you have tested out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, of course, have a love/hate relationship with them. I like a lot of their ethos, but loathe the sales approach plus they don't treat their employees as well as they should, I've gathered. Some of their bath products and skin/body care items are quite nice and I do enjoy them. Others are way overhyped and most are overpriced. So, I'm always open to alternatives but will *probably* go back for the items I really like. I've got my eye on another company but haven't purchased yet.

      Delete
  2. These look really nice! I went a bit Lush-mad when I went to England in summer (I get why you felt so uncomfortable with the sales assistants, they're quite..talk-y) and bought loads of bath bombs, but these look awesome and seem to be a good alternative- plus the fact that they're much cheaper is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FizzButter is a much more affordable luxury! I don't feel guilty using those bombs the way I do with my LUSH bombs, plus half a one really is enough for me. I think they have autumn scents coming at the end of September so I may check those out too.

      Delete
  3. Hi Liber Vox, I work for FizzButter and we wanted to thank you for taking the time to do your thoughtful review. So you know, your comments helped us make a decision we were considering regarding shipping peanuts. Thanks in part to your review, we have officially switched to chemical-free, biodegradable, natural packing peanuts!

    Thanks again from FizzButter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi FizzButter, I am so pleased to hear that my review helped you make such an important decision and thanks so much for letting me know! I will definitely be placing another order and am looking forward to trying your holiday scents as well!

      Delete

Please leave me comments if anything strikes your fancy or if you have any helpful suggestions. Remember, I'm no expert and am just sharing my truth. Hopefully you will find something useful to take with you!

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts