Haus of Gloi-Autumn 2012

/
7 Comments
I've had most of this Haus of Gloi haul for a while now, and I figured it was time to get to reviewin'! I have tried most of the autumn scents before, and reviewed them in my First Impressions review of the Haus last year. This year I got a full size of Samhain instantly, as that was my favorite and I kicked myself the whole year for not having purchased a full size when I had the chance.

Along with that, I got:

Perfume samples in
Hedonic
Spider Silk
Pumpkin Eater
Apothecary (freebie)
Lip balm in Banana Bread
Bubbling Scrub in Olde Cider Haus


Hedonic
Black fig, golden honey, saffron threads and Indian agar musk.

I get honey, not as strong as Honey Tree, but there is lots of honey. It's also somewhat regal, exotic, and smokey. A very syrupy scent, and that syrupy note reminds of Insalata Nocturna, which makes sense because they both contain a black fig note. I like this, but don't lovvvve it.

Spider Silk
Procured from a dream: delicate water mint, wispy grey musk, crystalline webs of amber, oakmoss, torchwood, copaiba resin, and a touch of withered violet leaf.

Surprisingly impressed by this. The mint is so incredibly faint, it really is just like an ethereal wisp of spider silk. That sounds lovely, though in reality if I walk into a strand of spider silk unexpectedly you will probably find me shrieking, flailing, and saying "ewwww" a lot. This scent romanticizes the notion. The dry down is more traditionally perfume-y that most Haus scents I've tried, likely because of the soft grey(not quite red and not quite white) musk. I think this would easily work as a unisex scent.

Pumpkin Eater
Cream, glowing pumpkin, rich vanilla bean and the tiniest touch of nutmeg butter.


I got this as a whipped soap last year and wanted to try it as a perfume. I'm not sure if it's just me, but the Pumpkin Eater soap, if I recall correctly, seemed much more pumpkiny, with a bit more cream and spice. The perfume seems more peachy to me, not quite like Pumpkin Queen, but I still get quite a bit of peach. I don't get as much creaminess or nutmeg, but still, this is lovely, and great as a layering item for other scents.

Apothecary
Old books, bubbling concoctions, herbs and creaking floor boards! A pure essential oil blend of: Lemongrass, rosemary, blood cedar, sweet basil, lavender and the tiniest drop of vetiver.

 
Lemongrass and I just don't mix. And Apothecary is all lemongrass, along with a generally herbal profile. I just can't smell lemongrass without thinking of curries, in which it is fine in extreme moderation, but too much is just...too much.  Sadly, not for me.

The Banana Bread lip balm is glorious, however! It has a butteriness that leans almost towards buttered popcorn if I think about it too hard, but if I tell myself it is banana bread, that is what it becomes. Probably my favorite lip balm I've tried from them so far.

The Olde Cider Haus Bubbling Scrub is also luscious. The scent is not quite apple cider, in that it doesn't have much spiciness, if at all. It is more clean, refreshing, earthy apple. Simple, but wonderful.


And finally, another reason why this review is so late (aside from the death in my family and just not feeling it last week), I wanted to wait until I got this second haul! This one actually contained orders for two of my co-workers as well. I tend to bring in my orders and let them swoon over everything and finally they broke down and ordered some items.
I, also, finally broke down and decided to try the fairly new offering from Haus of Gloi: Perfume, Made for You. They have a selection on the website of top, middle, and base notes, and let you choose any combination of four notes you wish for $20.00, and they will blend it for you and package it in a cute little gift box. Some of the notes will change according to the season. Autumn is my season, so I had to try it!

Admittedly, I had some trepidation. I am fascinated by perfumery, but I am by no means an expert on what compliments what, what notes overpower others, what more exotic notes smell like individually, etc., etc. I can "visualize", if you will, how I imagine a scent could smell all combined, but this is still a gambling game. An interesting little experiment. A twenty dollar experiment, so I took my sweet time deliberating.

I wanted something very earthy and autumnal, a little foodie, and a little spicy, with a woodsy drydown. So after much hand-wringing, I went with Leaf Pile, Pumpkin, Ginger, and Sandalwood. And crossed my fingers.

I got my perfume a few days ago, along with Olde Cider Haus and Pumpkin Eater butters, which I thought would go well with my little concoction. When I first smelled it, I wasn't sure how I felt. The scent was quite potent and unique in the bottle, but faded on my skin fairly quickly. I think that's because I only chose one base note, sandalwood. However, the longer the oils have had to marry and mingle, the more I'm liking it. At first it smells quite gingery, like a gingersnap. Then underneath that is a dry, green leafy note. The pumpkin adds a sweetness and while the sandalwood is never very loud, it gives the blend a slight woodsy-smokiness. I'm actually pretty proud of this for my first try! There is a silly vanity factor in play here, I am so waiting for someone to ask me what I'm wearing, to which I will reply smugly "oh, this? It's my own scent. I designed it." Since it doesn't have a name, I'm going to call it Sweater Weather, as that's the kind of feeling I wanted to evoke with it. It is getting quite close to the scent I had in my mind the longer it melds.

  On one had I wish we could choose more than four notes, as the blends are naturally going to be fairly simple, but on the other I also suspect the limitation is in place because the more notes there are in play, the harder it would be to reasonably ascertain the outcome. The blends are also created with equal ratios of each note, but if you send them an email with your order, they can adjust the ratios +/- if you wish.

I'm very tempted to try this little experiment again! How does a blend of leather, rose, labdanum, and vanilla bean sound?





You may also like

7 comments :

  1. I still haven't ordered from HoG. I did browse the fall offerings, but I'm holding out for the SS release! What a unique fragrance you created! Sounds like something I would like :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited for that too Peach! I can't wait to find out the details :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, love the sound of your own blend! Leaf pile is so interesting, perfect for autumn! I am tempted to give it a go and my blend would be something with heavy resins and woods :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, this blend is really starting to smell fantastic! I've been wearing it with the Olde Cider Haus butter and it totally feels like autumn. I would LOVE to see what kind of blend you'd come up with Su!

      Delete
  3. I really wanted to buy more of the Autumn collection but I ended up only getting two samples because of lack of money! Super jealous of your haul, and your custom scent sounds great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I think the autumn collection will be around until the end of October so maybe you will have a chance to try more :)

      Delete
  4. I love Haus of Gloi, I went a tiny bit crazy with the Autumn Collection. I didn't think it would be my favorite, but I am in LOVE with Ghost Puffs. I got a bubbling scrub, and now I want to go back and order everything.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me comments if anything strikes your fancy or if you have any helpful suggestions. Remember, I'm no expert and am just sharing my truth. Hopefully you will find something useful to take with you!

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts