Everything's Coming Up Roses

/
9 Comments

I mentioned last week that I've been on a bit of a rose kick lately. That has continued since I ordered a full size of Rose Mallow Cream perfume and Nightgown ganache from Solstice Scents...behold the goodness!


I got a sample of Amber, which is a core GC scent, and I don't know why I never tried it before. Maybe I thought it would be too basic or boring, but it's really a lovely warm, rich, golden amber. It is a building block in quite a few scents. I can smell its influence in scents like Basilica and Black Leather Red Lace ( discontinued *sob*). It has that distinctive Solstice Scents vibe to it and would be perfect for layering.

Next up, I finally went ahead and ordered another custom scent from Haus of Gloi. My first custom was an autumnal scent with notes of Leaves, Pumpkin, Ginger, and Sandalwood. It was an intriguing first effort!

 For this most recent one, I really tried to think it out and research the notes, and I must say I am sort of pleased with myself. I chose Rose, Leather, Tonka, and Labdanum. I went with two base notes as I wanted something with staying power. I've seen Labdanum listed as having elements of leather along with resinous, amber, and incense notes, so I went with that to complement the Leather. I also chose it since because it is a complicated note, it would stretch out those seemingly limited four notes into something maybe more complex and also add some depth and richness to the blend. I went with Tonka to add some creamy gourmand sweetness to the Rose. I knew going in that these custom scents develop over time, and you have to give them a little while to marry before you can really appreciate it. But I was very surprised and pleased to pretty much adore this scent at first sniff!

It was quite a bit more fresh and light than I expected, the rose is a fresh, not-grandmotherly or heady rose. It is almost green, like someone mashed up the leaves and stems with the petals. The Leather is reminiscent of the well-worn leather in Ploughman, which is one of my all time favorite HoG scents. I was hoping they would be the same, and I was not disappointed. It has that sexy, clean, fresh, sun-warmed skin element, and paired with the rose it is just gorgeous. G told me I smelled good, "like soap." But not the way we might describe some perfumes that go "soapy" negatively, just fresh and clean. After a while the creaminess from the Tonka starts to appear, and finally as it fades the Labdanum leaves the blend with this light incense note, much softer and gentler than you might expect. The whole package is like your skin, but better. I must say, a perfect spring scent!

Apparently others agree because I had a patron ask me what I was wearing and compliment it, which honestly few do because most scents I wear cling close to the skin. This one is gentle enough that I don't feel nervous about slathering it on. Also, one of my co-workers smelled it and liked it so much she ordered the exact same thing. On one hand this pleases me, that my idea was good enough that someone felt compelled to drop twenty bucks for the same thing. On the other hand I mentally stamped my foot and cried out in indignation...."Noooooo! Stop copying me!!!! It's MY custom scent!"

But that's silly, right?

With the rest of my order I got a sample of Come Hither (another rose scent!) which had actually been missing from my previous order. They included it with this one and also sent me a Sea Salt Brownie Butterbomb, which was a welcome surprise! They also dropped in some exotic looking candy! I have no idea where it's from but I'm going to try it soon :)

Have you ordered any custom scents from HoG or would you consider trying it? What notes or combinations sound interesting to you?





You may also like

9 comments :

  1. I'm glad your custom HoG blend was a huge success! That's so funny that your coworker ordered the EXACT same custom blend you had gotten. I would be pretty torn about that too. Yeah it's cool that she enjoyed your creation enough to purchase her own, but it's also kind of annoying that she did that. I'd feel kind of entitled to a perfume I custom ordered, even if that's incredibly silly. Somehow that seems different than someone ordering a GC scent that they liked on another person. ;D

    I haven't ordered any custom HoG perfumes because I just wouldn't even know where to start :) I'm too indecisive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised too! At first I thought she was joking, and then she said " I did it..I ordered it!" (She has ordered from them before courtesy of my influence and did order a different custom once).I tell myself these scents often smell different on different people, so it will still be MY blend.

      It is hard to narrow things down, maybe it's best to start by ruling out all the notes you definitely don't like, then try to create an impression or theme you're going for and work from there. It is a bit of an investment for something that may not work out, but it is quite fun!

      Delete
  2. Your custom scent sounds lovely! I've also been on a rose kick lately - Rose Mallow Cream is WONDERFUL, I really hope it goes GC. Come Hither is a favorite of mine as well. I'm super curious about HoG's custom scents - I'd love to try my hand at making one sometime. Something with rose and apple skin, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RMC is awesome! I was worried my custom would be too similar since I've been getting all these rose scents lately, but it stands on its own quite nicely :) Rose and apple sound delish!

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of a custom scent and have been planning on ordering one from somewhere... I do like planning custom scents a lot so I have a few planned for whenever (if ever) I order one from HoG.... One I think would be nice is oakmoss, white oak, vanilla and woodsmoke! I´d also love something darker and more conceptual like rain, woodsmoke, leather and dirt or perhaps dark and sensual coffee, fig, beeswax/honey and labdanum... Soo many choices!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, those blends sound amazing! I'd considered the white oak, but I really don't know what it smells like. I wish I had the money to be extra experimental, but I wanted to play it fairly safe with this one just to see if I could do something classic. I'd like to use the woodsmoke note in a blend, but I'm worried it will be the heavier woodsmoke like from Plotter's Breakfast and would overwhelm the rest. Couldn't hurt to try though!

      Delete
    2. I haven´t really sampled anything from Haus of Gloi yet so I´m not familiar with how their particular notes smell but I like all incarnations of oak and woodsmoke that i have encountered so far! :) This summer, when I have money, I think I´ll order some experiemtal blends!

      Delete
  4. It might be super petty of me but I would be really annoyed if someone I worked with or had any kind of personal interaction with got the same custom perfume as me. The whole point of getting a custom perfume is so you DON'T smell like anyone else! I actually think that was pretty thoughtless and rude of her, and since I'm pretty mouthy I'd probably have told her so, haha.

    For that reason, if I got a custom perfume I'd never tell anyone what was in it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I certainly resonate with that sentiment! But I work in a very small workplace and it benefits me to not be too outspoken or authentic, unfortunately, given the mindsets of several of my coworkers. I suppose it was my fault because I have turned her on to indie scents and felt like bragging about this one! I don't think she meant to be obnoxious, she just isn't active in the community or aware of perfume etiquette, so to speak.

      Delete

Please leave me comments if anything strikes your fancy or if you have any helpful suggestions. Remember, I'm no expert and am just sharing my truth. Hopefully you will find something useful to take with you!

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts