Haus of Gloi Spring 2013: Sort Of

/
7 Comments

So, even though Haus of Gloi understands that spring has sprung, Ohio weather has not yet received that particular memo. I got my hefty spring order last week, and on Sunday when I took my order pictures, it looked like this outside:


So I opted to take my product pictures inside.


Whipped Soap in Ploughman
Bubbling Scrub in Milkmaid
Pumpkin Butters in Milkmaid and Ploughman
Custom Perfume
Full size Milkmaid Perfume
Lip Balm in Coconut Chai
Butterbombs in Green Forest, Orange Blossom Bee Hive, and Lavender Tea
Samples of Ruth and Komodo

Yes, it is a hefty order indeed. And a funny story goes along with it. I ordered a full size of Milkmaid (lovely, light, milky-floral goodness), but when I opened the bottle to sniff, I was certain that my sense of smell was being punked. This perfume did not smell at ALL like Milkmaid. Not even a little. Sure, my order had been outside in the cold for a while. I let it rest. Nope, still not Milkmaid. Perhaps they changed the formulation (the change would have had to be drastic). Nope, my bubbling scrub smelled exquisitely Milkmaidish. Perhaps I was just going mad? Nope, G and several co-workers who I tested without explaining why also confirmed...this Milkmaid was an IMPOSTOR!

So, I wrote the good folks at the Haus and offered up my findings and also offered to send the little fellow back, as I also didn't want them to think I would suggest such a thing flippantly, and also explained what Not-Milkmaid smelled like: dark, humid florals, heavier and reminiscent of tuberose. Within an hour Matt wrote back and apologized and agreed Milkmaid had been mislabeled, and would send a new one ASAP. So, yay for that and yay for awesome customer service! I went through my Gloi samples and came to the conclusion that the impostor was actually Narcosa. So, now I have authentic Milkmaid and the ever-so-rare specimen, a mislabeled Narcosa, in my possession. It was actually sort of interesting and trippy to go to smell something, and despite the expectation that was built up to anticipating a certain outcome (I will smell Milkmaid) I had to trust and challenge my senses into accepting that it wasn't true, and figure out what it actually was. It was like eating a red jelly bean and assuming it will be cherry, but it's actually lemon.
 Mind. Blown.


I also got the first of three custom scents I hope to order soon. This one seemed to make people skittish when I suggested it, but I love it! I ordered

30% Pumpkin
30%White Amber
20% Lavender
20% Beeswax and Honey

It smells a little unusual in the bottle, but it ends up smelling lovely, I must say. The lavender adds a light freshness that elevates the blend, but it only lasts a few minutes. Primarily I smell the pumpkin and white amber. It reminds me of Pumpkin Queen, minus the autumnal spiciness. It's rich and a little darker than I expected, but it is quite sensual. Lavender and pumpkin are *supposedly* high on the aphrodisiac scale as far as scents go. I don't know about that, but I feel pretty sexy wearing it and G likes it a lot too.
Do with that as you will.
 I love that you can indicate your percentage preferences, as it does help tailor the scent to your vision.

And check out these new butterbombs!



I really wish they would put these into other product formats because they smell so good. Seriously, so good. I've used the Green Forest one already and it is swoonworthy. Fresh, a little dark and mossy, very green. It's just a lovely scent.

The Coconut Chai lip balm is also delicious, a bit more chai than coconut. I try to get one with every season, and I'm glad I picked this one up.

The new perfume oils are Ruth (Fresh strawberry, green patchouli, rose geranium and crushed violet leaf) and Komodo (Mangosteen, Tahitian vanilla bean, dragons blood resin and faded tropical blooms). Neither of these are ones I think I need in full size, and I sort of expected that.They're both nice, but neither are really "me."
 There's just too much fruitiness going on. But there are redeeming factors. The green patchouli helps cut the tartness of the strawberry in Ruth and the dragons blood adds some darkness and depth to Komodo. That one reminds me a bit of Satsuma from the Body Shop. Both of them have a very tropical feel to them.

From my order I also highly recommend Ploughman, which is one of my all time favorite Haus scents. It's totally and utterly brilliant, the way it somehow manages to smell just like dirt, skin, and sunshine. This one especially is worth a try!
 



You may also like

7 comments :

  1. Ploughman is up there as one of my favorite HoG scents too! So amazing, it is.

    What a drool-worthy haul! And quite a funny story about Milkmaid! Haus of Gloi truly does have exceptional customer service. :)

    Oh, I tried their rose butterbomb and fell in love! It was delightful! It make my bathroom smell amazing forever too.

    That's awesome that you ordered the pumpkin lavender scent! It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ploughman is so fantastic, it makes me think of what a hobbit might smell like, you know, tobacco, sunshine, and growing things.
      Milkmaid-Gate was a very interesting experience indeed! Maybe some people would have been annoyed at the mix-up, but for me it was more of an intriguing experiment.
      I am really pleased that my custom turned out well (for my tastes at least). I was a little hesitant at first, but I'm glad I took a chance!

      Delete
    2. I never thought of it that way, but you're right about Ploughman being very reminiscent of a hobbit! Oh, how I adore Lord of the Rings! <3

      I just replied to your comment on my blog, but I wanted to just make sure you know that I didn't get your email :( If you give me your email address I will email you from my main account, I just don't want to have it on here because it's my full name. I'm so sorry about the email not getting through to me :( I hope you didn't think I was ignoring you!

      I hope you have a lovely Easter!

      Delete
  2. The mis-labeled Milkmaid must've been so trippy! Imagine if you'd never smelled it before? I wasn't going to pick up the Green Forest butter bomb, but I think I have to now. Komodo was actually the hit of the collection for me, along with Selkie - I'll be getting both of those full-size soon. Ruth, however, was AWFUL to my nose. I don't know what it is about it! It smelled like horseradish. It was such a weird olfactory experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green Forest is gorgeous, I really would like a perfume with that scent! If you like woodland/green scents at all, you must try it. Selkie is pretty too, I have some from last year. Tenebrous Mist is still my #1 aquatic scent though. Hmmm horseradish, I will have to go back and see if I can pick up on that. The strawberry was a little bitter to me, maybe that's it.

      Delete
  3. What a haul!! I'll have to try Milkmaid and Ploughman when I order from Haus of Gloi, Ploughman especially sounds right up mu alley! Great that you ordered a custom and that that strange combo worked out! I just discovered a strange combo that I really think would be awesome, patchouli and anise! I had a patchouli scent on one hand and an Absinthe scent on the other as I went to bed last night and the two primary notes just blended beautifully when I brought my hands close together. I don't think I've seen that combo anywhere so I guess I'll have to order a custom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you'd like Ploughman, Milkmaid is a little fresh and sort of light/innocent/floral, so not sure about that one (though I love it!) Anise and Patchouli sound interesting actually, I would go for it!

      Delete

Please leave me comments if anything strikes your fancy or if you have any helpful suggestions. Remember, I'm no expert and am just sharing my truth. Hopefully you will find something useful to take with you!

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts