Perfume Storage

/
13 Comments
Looking for a way to store your mass quantities of perfume samples? Ever since I started getting obsessed with indie perfumes, I stored my samples in old Altoids tins. They fit snugly and neatly, and this method suited my purposes until I came across brands with sample vials that tended to leak. This led to smudgy, oily, unpleasant messes. So many of my labels have worn off that now I have to trust my sense of smell to remember what each one is. I finally started wrapping each vial with tape right after getting it, which helps with fading but is not a perfect solution. The oils can still seep under the tape with repeated openings. I needed a way to keep them all secure AND upright, a method that allowed me to pick and choose a sample without disturbing or knocking over those surrounding it.

It finally came to me, and I've been kicking myself for not doing this sooner. My samples would look so much nicer and more worthy of swaps and such if I had.

I started with a cute hinged trinket box from Michaels Crafts:



I thought it was apt that this one has "Flora and Fauna" printed on the top. It also has a magentic closure.

Then I bought some matching blue fine, pebbly filler, also at Michaels. I actually got this idea from how Sephora displays their makeup brushes.

I filled it about halfway with the filler, and then started "planting" my samples! They fit securely, and the filler is dense and heavy enough that grabbing samples doesn't bother those around it, or barely makes them lean over slightly, and they're easy to "replant."



Here's my little garden of samples!

If the labels are oily at all, the filler will stick a little, but it's easily brushed off. I will also have to be careful to always hold this from the bottom, but the magnetic closure is handy and even moving the box back and forth doesn't seem to jostle or unhinge the samples at all. Dropping it, though, would be bad.

This isn't close to my whole sample collection, just the ones most prone to leaking.
I just think this is a really cute and functional display/storage method, and a lot prettier than Altoids tins!





You may also like

13 comments :

  1. That´s a very pretty box! If I dodn´t have my beloved film canisters I would do something like that perhaps. On another note, I see you have a sample of Incendere! What do you think about it? It is one of my favorite scents ever! What other Alkemia scents have you sampled?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So observant you are! I haven't finished my First Impressions yet, but I will post all my thoughts then :)

      Delete
  2. I totally geek out over storage techniques, and this is by far the most creative thing I've ever seen. I love the beautiful box and the little filler to keep the imps standing. I do that with my makeup brushes (which I also stole from Sephora, haha!), but I never thought of using that technique for perfume storage! Hats off to you, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad you like it! I'm sure I'm not the first person to do this, but it did make me feel quite innovative :) I was I'd thought of it sooner. I would've liked to do swaps with you guys but my samples are an embarassing disgrace :(

      Delete
  3. That's a fantastic idea! I must admit I'm one of those terrible people who just piles all my samples into a box or container higgledy-piggledy, and I know I shouldn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wouldn't be such a problem for me to keep using my tins if I didn't come across leaky samples. One leaky sample in a tin of samples can gunk-up and ruin the labels of all!

      Delete
  4. Very pretty and very practical. You can accommodate even a growing collection of samples :) I keep my samples in body butter tubs. I just got plastic boxes with compartments just tall enough to hold a 1ml sample. It is not so pretty though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good to me too, I just never came across a container that was just the right height. If I do this project again, and I have so many samples I probably will, I may try it with slightly larger fill, more like pebbles than sandy fill, because it does stick a bit. I was just worried the larger fill would have the same dense suction power as the sandy kind.

      Delete
  5. Very clever and unique way to showcase your perfumes. Reminds me of how they display the brushes in my local Sephora.
    I keep my perfume samples in plastic and wooden boxes. Gets the job done but not very convenient when I want to find a particular one. I have to root around, so I keep my currently used one on my dresser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's where I got my inspiration! I am clumsy and all butterfingers, so if I try just standing them up in a container, I inevitably knock all of them over. This solution keeps the others upright more reliably, I think.

      Delete

Please leave me comments if anything strikes your fancy or if you have any helpful suggestions. Remember, I'm no expert and am just sharing my truth. Hopefully you will find something useful to take with you!

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts