Spa Day, Pre-Birthday Haulage and Freebie Info

/
6 Comments


So, this past Friday for my upcoming birthday G treated me to a spa day. I got my hair and brows done, and also got my first massage. G had one a few weeks ago and he was totally transformed. He raved about it so much I finally just said, "OK, you should just get me one too for my birthday." And so he did.

 I have a pretty troubled back. It hurts most of the time (partly from storing a lot of tension and partly from the weight I carry up front) so I wasn't sure what they would be able to do for me in thirty minutes. I went to my usual Aveda salon and spa, and I will say it was a really lovely sensory experience, but for my first massage, it wasn't necessarily a very therapeutic experience with lasting effects. G said his back felt better days and days afterwards (lucky), but honestly my back hurt again by that night. The masseuse was a very sweet lady, and I think when I told her it was my first time and she said she would go easy on me, she really meant literally. I didn't say ouch a single time, not even close. She didn't really work on loosening any specific knots, it felt more like a general, extremely gentle overview. The oil she used smelled amazing though, and the warmed table and the hot wet towels she used were very comforting and pleasant, but still...I think my back is going to be a hard nut to crack, and I think I needed a little more force. Next time I will try to get the same masseuse G had since apparently she works miracles!

I got my haircut too, nothing drastic, but I think it turned out nicely.
Before my appointment (no eye makeup since I was getting my brows done):




And after:


After my spa day G and I went to the mall where I did some pre-birthday plundering. Do you know that you can get tons of cool free stuff and discounts for your birthday? The days of merely getting a sad little free sundae at the restaurant as a child while hanging your head in embarrassment as your parents get the staff to sing to you are long over. The perks are much better nowadays.

First, we went to First Watch, a great breakfast/brunch chain. I had been signed up for their rewards club, and they sent me a coupon for a free meal. If there are any restaurants you go to often, always check their website or social media pages and see if you can join their mailing list, because free things may come your way. I also got an email for a free meal at Brio Tuscan Grill  too, but I'm saving it for later.

I am a Platinum Ultamate Rewards Member (like Sephora's VIBs) and I was also sent a ten dollar coupon to use as I pleased for my birthday. This was nice because it could be used on any products, drugstore or prestige. I had 100 points saved up as well, which translates into three dollars off a purchase. I had also just received that very morning a coupon for a free box of haircolor which I had gotten by entering a giveaway sponsored from the L'Oreal Facebook page. For this little haul, Revlon and NYX products were on sale for 40% off. So, after using my ten dollar gift, my three dollar reward, and my hair color coupon, I got all of this for $7.51. Not too shabby, eh?


I got hair color, cotton pads, a Revlon compact, a green color correction concealer and  brow kit from NYX, and a Revlon Lip Butter in Berry Smoothie.


I also went to an Aveda retail store at the mall to pick up my annual birthday gift. If you sign up with Aveda, you can get a free customized birthday gift. This one is super generous. You go to the store, and they sit with you to do a "sensory journey", allowing you to smell different scent blends, separating them into "yes" and "no" piles, until you narrow it down to the scent you want. Then you choose your product format, including full sizes of perfume, lotion, massage oil, bath salts, or body wash, and then they mix it up for you right there. This year I got my blend in a lotion, but I have gotten them in salts, massage oil, and a perfume before. I also picked up a Light Elements Texturizing Creme, which smells amazing and is great for creating light, piecey texture.


Since I am also a Godiva Rewards member, they took sent me a coupon for ten dollars off a ten dollar or more purchase. Godiva Rewards members are already entitled to one free piece of chocolate every month, so I picked that up, along with a Ultimate Dessert Truffle sampler, which usually costs $15.00, but I got it for $5.00. They are yummy!


Finally, Sephora is having their 15% off Chic Week sale for VIB's through the 21st, and since they had their preview event all day this past Thursday, I was able to run in and get a free tote and bag of samples. I also picked up my free birthday gift, which is available for any Beauty Insider. The Benefit gift this year is really nice! I purchased Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Face Peel, and used 100 of my points for an Origins Clear Improvement mask.


All in all, a most productive day!
Have you gotten any awesome deals lately? Let me know!


You may also like

6 comments :

  1. Wow, what a lot of awesome freebies! The only one I was aware of was Sephora's, now it makes me wonder what else I could be taking advantage of come July... hmm! Your hair looks adorable, and I hope you have (had? either way!) a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you find one that you'll be able to take advantage of. In the *wise* words of my father, I have "champagne taste on a beer can budget." Meaning, I like nice stuff, but if I can get a deal on it, I'm going to take it! There are many deals to be had, so go get 'em! Birthday is Thursday...my real celebration is next week, but more on that later ;)

      Delete
  2. Awesome haulage! Your hair looks fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read your email and immediately came here. I'm sorry the massage didn't work out. That's disappointing. I actually had the exact opposite experience last time I got a massage- the guy dug so deep that I was sore as hell the next day :( So I guess it needs to be a happy medium!

    I'm glad you got lots of neat stuff at such great deals! Your hair and brows look great, And you are stunning as usual.

    I love Aveda and their products. I used to go to an Aveda salon when I has red hair. I loved the color my stylist used. She used pepermint oil in the shampoo that made my scalp tingle so awesomely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds fabulous! I think you and G did pretty well for first time massage. I can take (and need) a lot of pressure but my husband was sore after his first massage. The lady used her elbows on his back which was quite painful I suppose. You got a good masseuse :)
    So many gifts! I should hunt down for some freebies too. My birthday is in May. Only one I know of is The Body Shop birthday gift with my loyalty card. Will be nice to see what I get. Happy birthday :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday!

    Looks like you got some lovely gifts. I love the Chic Week sale. I got a couple items including a much needed sunscreen.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me comments if anything strikes your fancy or if you have any helpful suggestions. Remember, I'm no expert and am just sharing my truth. Hopefully you will find something useful to take with you!

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts