Haus Of Gloi Indian Summer and Random Haulage

/
7 Comments
It seems impossible, but it's almost time for fall releases from my favorite indie perfumeries! It's crazy to think that I made my very first order with Haus of Gloi this time two years ago, and I've never looked back since. What in the world did I spend my discretionary income on before? I have no idea! Anyway, the first part of Haus of Gloi's autumn release is this Sunday, in fact, August 25th. The second part including whipped soaps and butterbombs will be mid-September when temperatures cool down. There are some new scents and a new product, scented hair oils! I also have a sneak peek at one of the new fall scents for you today too! But first, the Haus recently came out with an Indian Summer themed release, celebrating those warm pre-harvest days. 

I took a chance and ordered a full size of Heirloom oil, an Heirloom Pumpkin Butter, a Golden Corn Cakes Bubbling Scrub, and samples of Golden Corn Cakes and Homestead. They are doing a new promotion where if you spend 25+ dollars in an order, you get a "single note of the week" sample. These are the same notes that they use to compose the custom perfumes, so if you want to know what a note smells like by itself before trying it in a blend, or just to educate yourself on what certain unfamiliar notes are like, this is great way to do it. I got a sample of kaffir lime leaf. These samples are in addition to the standard free ones that come with all orders.



Some thoughts on the scents:


  Heirloom

Overripe pears, long faded perfume, sweet grass and dry late summer air.

This is a VERY pear centric scent! Bright, tangy, and fruity. I have a weird thing where pear notes smell sort of like fruity bubble gum to me, I have no idea why. I get the same thing from Darling Clandestine's Mad as Birds. The dry down is a little more warm and cozy. I like this one, but I probably should have just gotten a sample of it. I think that would have sufficed for me. 

Homestead
Dried herbs, fresh sage on a polished wooden table, softened by sweet peru balsam.

This is dry, green, and herbal, sort of meditative. It smells just like the Aveda spa I go to. If you like that sort of spa scent, this one may be for you. I liked it, didn't love it.

Golden Corn Cakes

Corn cake baked to a golden perfection, topped with butter and honey.

This one I bought on a whim just because it sounded so outrageously impractical and foodie. Something that would accomplish nothing but making me incredibly hungry. Mission accomplished! This makes me crave warm arepa, slathered with butter and maple syrup. The Haus really shines with their foodie blends, no foolin'. It's shockingly authentic. The dry down is just a faded, warm-ish baking smell, which isn't really that amazing or interesting to me, but honestly the cold sniff and the first leg of the journey alone makes me want to buy more of it. And others must have agreed because it's coming back for the autumn reverie!

Kaffir Lime Leaf

Wow, this is really interesting! Quite a floral, clean, almost soapy lime scent. Not straight lime at all. I wouldn't want to wear this by itself but it seems like it would blend well with lots of other notes.






Then, I did another sort of random General Catalog order, mostly because the single note of the week was Red Musk and I really wanted to try it, and because they were giving out sneak peek samples of Autumn scents. I got body emulsions in Vice, Twice is Nice, and Madcap Garden, and a perfume sample of Satyr. I also got a full size oil of Twice is Nice (not pictured) but it was accidentally omitted from my order. I sent them an email and my perfume was mailed out the very next day. They do have mixups sometimes, but they are always quick to fix them. I couldn't stay upset if I tried!

I had never tried Twice is Nice (Sweetest offerings of opulence! Buttery sugar cookie, with shavings of creamy coconut and topped with toasted almond slivers!) (the almond scared me) but a friend had a sample of it and as soon as I sniffed it I knew I had to have it. It smells just like these coconut macaroon cookies I remember having when I was little. OMG, sooooo good. The sad thing is, G hates this scent! I wore it to bed as soon as I got it and he told me the next morning he considered waking me up to wash it off, he loathed it so much. Makes no sense at all! Silly man!

I had also never tried Madcap Garden (A lively blend, pure black tea chilled with peppermint and the tiniest spike of sweet honey. Very unisex, stimulating, addictive, and bright) but I love the emulsion. I think it's a really soft, refreshing, light scent that will go well with lots of my other perfumes. The honey in it is a very pale, sweet honey, not overpowering at all. I just love the mint/tea/honey combo!

Satyr (Absolutely fiendish creature! And quite frolicsome: Italian blood orange drizzled with blackened vanilla.)I have gotten in an emulsion before. I didn't think I would really like it much, but it has a nostalgic, carnival-like feel to it. For some reason I smell fried fair food in this, like funnel cakes. I really don't know why, but I like it!

I love the Red Musk note that I used in my last custom scent (Coconut, orange blossom, mahogany, and red musk) and I loved getting to try it on its own. It's actually wearable as a perfume by itself, I think. It reminds me of a scent like Jovan White Musk, but a little deeper and darker and warmer.

Finally, the Horseman! (Autumnal forest and wood, distant fire, smooth saddle leather, brown musk and the lingering scent of a dark gentleman's cologne on a black woolen coat) This one is for those who don't care for the foodie scents...this is for smoke and leather lovers! Very debonair and sophisticated, this would be great for the fellas, but lots of ladies would gravitate towards it too. It's woodsy and a little foreboding, with the tiniest wisp of a chill in the air, but also warm and smokey. It reminds me of a mixture of Snow Wolf and Plotter's Breakfast, which I find a little too strong and sharp separately, but the impression of them together is quite smooth and wearable.

Sooo...that is all for today! Are you planning on getting anything from the Autumn release? I'm thinking the hair oil in Samhain may find its way into my basket!






You may also like

7 comments :

  1. Horsman sounds so awesome!! I am really craving leather scents right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Solstice Scents brings back Devil's Tongue for autumn, you should try that. It is LEATHERY!

      Delete
    2. I looked it up and it sounds gorgeous! The only thing that is better than a leather scent is a leather-tobacco scent!! ;D

      Delete
  2. Oh wow! You got some lovely things, dear one! :) Back when I had a full time job, I had my hair dyed red-violet every month at an Aveda spa- so I can just imagine Homestead :) I was always so close to trying Madcap Garden but never took the plunge, so it's nice to know that it's a good scent. That's awesome that Satyr ended up smelling like a carnival! I bet Dee would love that one! And I am so excited for The Horseman! I'm going to need to win the lottery to be able to buy all the autumn scents I'm going to want ;D That is really neat how HoG is adding free single note imps to orders $25 or more. Goodness knows I need to expand my individual scent knowledge <3 Thanks for sharing your haul with us! It was a treat to hear your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I loooove Aveda smells. Homestead is nice, I just have other things that already smell like it. I used to have really fire-engine red hair myself. My mom dyed it for me for the first time when I was in the eighth grade. I still dye in now from a box, but tend to do just auburn, warm browns (not the very, very dark matte mousy brown that it is naturally...shudder!)
      I know autumn is your season (mine too!) There's so much good stuff coming out!

      Delete
  3. Oh, Homestead sounds just like my kind of thing! Must investigate, now. I also love Madcap Garden - need more of that at some point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving Madcap Garden in the emulsion, it's very subtle and adaptable to all my favorite tea scents!

      Delete

Please leave me comments if anything strikes your fancy or if you have any helpful suggestions. Remember, I'm no expert and am just sharing my truth. Hopefully you will find something useful to take with you!

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts