The Perfume Tag

/
5 Comments
Hi all, hope you all had a great Thanksgiving if you celebrate it. G likes to call it Thankstaking though, since it wasn't such a great dealio in the end for Native Americans. We went to his family's for dinner, which was nice. G's family is Scottish, and we tend to joke about the quality and nature of the food offerings. His experience has been that food is treated in a very perfunctory manner, viewed as merely sustenance, not really a source of pleasure or exploration. And, the blander, the better. For example, they serve roasted potatoes, but they literally are roasted potatoes. No salt, no seasoning, no butter, nothing. Perfectly edible, but meh. At least we had my maple cinnamon pumpkin pie with oatmeal cookie crumbles to liven things up!

I actually went out on Black Friday and did a little shopping. Very little, since money is tight. But I went to the craft store to get some supplies for making Christmas ornaments (hopefully I will get a tutorial posted soon!) and I got just a few small gifts. I'm not one to wait in huge lines for the latest gadgets, but I sort of enjoy shopping that day just in general, even if I only buy a sweater or a few things from Bath and Body Works. After a few hours though I had my fill and was happy to go home!

So...onto the tag! I don't do tags often but this one that Dee did sounded interesting, so here goes:

1. What was the first perfume you ever purchased?

I'm really not sure. The perfumes I got when I was much younger were probably gifts. Cheap scents my parents must have picked up at Big Lots. The first perfume I remember really loving was Jovan White Musk, and I wore that around the sixth grade. In high school I had a love affair with Avon perfumes. I wore Far Away my freshman year, I adored Perceive my senior year. It's possible I bought some of those myself, but I can't recall exactly.

2. What's your signature perfume?

I don't think I have one now since I'm so obsessed with perfumes in general, but in college I wore Revlon Ciara alot. Oh, I loved that perfume, and even though it's a pretty cheap one, it smelled amazing and super sexy on me. I also went through a phase of wearing Crabtree and Evelyn's Nantucket Briar on a regular basis. Also spent some serious time with Nina Ricci Nina, Juicy Couture and Prada perfumes as well.

3. What's your most recent perfume purchase?


Earlier this month I bought samples of Solstice Scents Foxcroft Collection, which I reviewed here. I've also bought bitsys of Big Top Train 2011 and 2013 and Galilee from Darling Clandestine, but they haven't arrived yet so I have no idea what they smell like. I may give Galilee as a Christmas gift as the little soapstone jar just begs to be gifted (plus a portion of the proceeds go to charity) but I haven't decided yet for sure.

4. What perfume would you wear at nighttime/date night?

Right now I am really loving Solstice Scents' Edge of the Night and Hex from Alkemia. They both have that bombastic, intensely in-your-face, classic sexy floriental thing going on, like Shalimar, Opium, or my beloved Ciara. 

5. What's your favorite spring/summer perfume?

This changes all the time, so I will just think of what I wore last spring/summer. Early spring (with just a touch of chill left in the air) is wonderful with Haus of Gloi's Odette or Solstice Scents' Lace Draped Spectre or Nightgown. Later spring/summer I wore Darling Clandestine's Small Saga, Haus of Gloi's The Brier Path and Milkmaid, and Solstice Scents' Tenebrous Mist and Coquina a lot. Also, Alkemia's Tryst of Grey and Neroli XXIII. But there are still so many I sampled I'm probably not remembering.

6. What's your favorite fall/winter perfume?

 That one's even harder since I am a fall baby at heart. This year I've been wearing:

Solstice Scents'  Witch's Cottage, Foxcroft, Jack and the Devil, Smoky Mountain Mallow, Kitchen, and Manor.
Darling Clandestine's Hellbender, Circassian, and Vardogr
Haus of Gloi's Samhain and Hearth
In the past week I've rediscovered my sample of Phoebe from Sweet Anthem, and I've really been loving it. So much so that I ordered a full size a few days ago during their Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale because it was a really awesome deal. I also picked up a solid scent in Anita for our family gift exchange. I've never tried it but the mocha/peppermint description seems like it might appeal to G's stepsister the coffee addict, whose name I drew. Hopefully she'll like it!

 

7. What's your favorite scent category? (fruity, floral, fresh, oriental, woody)

Since really getting into indie perfumes, I've learned to not limit myself and to not have knee-jerk reactions about certain scent categories. Even though I tend to not like fruity/super cutesy sweet scents, there are probably some that I do love. I do gravitate towards earthy, woodsy, resinous scents though, but I am a foodie, as well. 




8. What perfume are you currently lusting after?

I haven't been able to try any of Sugar and Spite's Yule Collection, but I did order two of Lysa's new scented tarts (one for me, one as a gift.) This might be my first foray into indie wax. Really excited to try them!

 9. What perfume do you really dislike? 

I really, really can't stand Clinique Happy, and am not much for Chanel #5. Probably a lot of the mainstream classics that a lot of people love. Those are two that come to mind.

I tag anyone who would like share! Thanks for reading! 





You may also like

5 comments :

  1. Oh my gosh, I find it SO impossible to have a signature perfume for longer than a few months! There are just too many I love! And sometimes it changes depending on the weather or time of day, etc.

    Also, this made me laugh a lot: "G's family is Scottish, and we tend to joke about the quality and nature of the food offerings." Ha!

    jess | Quaintrelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mean to make a generalization, but it's based on what G's told me about his experiences growing up and going to Scotland, etc. The pictures of him when he was young are kind of sad; he was soooo thin! Now I know why! It's not the kind of cuisine that makes you want to keep eating, you basically just eat enough to survive, and that's it!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you and G had a nice Thanksgiving with his family! And yeah, the "real" Thanksgiving is pretty effed up. I'm glad you did this tag, it was really neat to see your answers! I love all the spring perfumes you chose :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear, you should do this tag too!

      Delete
  3. I find it difficult to have a signature perfume as well since I have so many!

    If I had to choose only a few, I'd wear Snake Oil by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab and any of the ones by Beyonce. Those are ones which I find smell good on me and which have gotten me lots of compliments.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me comments if anything strikes your fancy or if you have any helpful suggestions. Remember, I'm no expert and am just sharing my truth. Hopefully you will find something useful to take with you!

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts