SA List: Summer 2014

/
4 Comments
I can't believe it's time to review my summer SA List box already! It barely even feels like spring, it was 75 and sunny last Sunday and I was all gung-ho for trying to plant things, and then, by Tuesday, it was cold, windy, and snowing. This weekend? Back in the 60's. I can't keep up! But that's Ohio for you. Anyway, Sweet Anthem says it's time for summer, and the scents in this box almost make me believe it!


In my box I got eau de parfum samples of two new summer scents that are marketed as masculine, but I find them perfectly unisex. These dashing fellows are Walden and Cooper. Also included in the box, instead of the 5 ml solid scent and additional perfume sample that I received in my Spring box, were samples of the new Honey + Jasmine candies and Lip Shimmer from their Flower + Sugar line.



The candies were in adorable jewel shapes and smelled very lightly of sweet honey with a touch of jasmine. The jasmine didn't really translate into the taste of the candy, the taste was just honey-ish. I'm not one to crave hard candies, so these were pleasant enough, but not something I really need more of. 



The lip shimmer experience, unfortunately, went a little wonky. It looks solid and creamy in the clam shell above, but when I pressed my finger down on it to pick some up, it began to seep a clear oil, and the violet part (which I assume are waxes) broke up into little chunks. It basically separated, as shown below:




I tried to mix it up and get it incorporated with my finger, but didn't have much luck. I couldn't smell much except an unpleasant waxy/oily smell. I had to smell it very hard to get even a hint of honey or jasmine, but it was totally overpowered by the base ingredients. Putting it on was a bit of a disaster, there's no swatch to show because once I got a tiny taste of it I immediately had to wash my mouth out. I have no idea what happened, maybe the weather affected it or I just got a bad batch. I've never had a lip product do that so I was at a loss. It was a bummer, but luckily the actual perfumes made up for any disappointment!

Walden
Heaven is under our feet and over our heads. Aquatic musks, vintage florals, and greenery everywhere. 

Green...green...green
This is Walden Pond. This is a walk down the woodland path on a cool summer morning before it starts to really heat up, a whisper of humidity licking at your heels but not slowing you down. It's lush, earthy, lacy tendrils of dewy ferns tickling your legs and arms as you pass. It's a nap on a bed of moss, a verdant daydream. I love this immensely. This has a similar feel to Solstice Scents' Devil's Millhopper, so if you enjoy such green scents, give this one a try.

Cooper
What are all these magnificent trees? Nutty vetiver, smoky teak, coffee – black as midnight on a moonless night, and the transcendental Douglas Fir. 

This one brings to mind a lonely log cabin on water's edge, smoke puffing gently from a stone chimney, a lazy, hazy cup of coffee on a wooden porch swing, in the shade of towering conifers. It reminds me of slightly "weirder" scents like Darling Clandestine's Vardogr and Solstice Scents' Wail of the Banshee. Weird in the best possible way. The cold sniff is a little confusing, but after just a moment the notes start to unfold and set the scene perfectly. It's deeper and darker than Walden, but not heavy or too menacing. I enjoy them especially layered together where they complement each other and smooth out any rough edges. My only wish is that they lasted a little longer on my skin, which seems to veritably devour them. 

So, even with the lip shimmer fail, I am pleased with both new scents. They're a refreshing departure from the usual beachy summer scents (and don't get me wrong, I love those too), but these are a welcome, woodsy, green respite. These are different from most of the Sweet Anthem scents I've tried, and I think they were both very successful endeavors.  I had initially signed up for two seasons of the SA list just to make sure I'd like it, and I can say combined with the 10 dollar voucher you get each season, this program is a steal and I definitely want to extend my subscription.

Well, dear readers, that's all for today. Today is my 33rd birthday. I have to work so it will feel pretty much like any typical day. Not expecting co-workers to remember even though we have a handy-dandy sign in the breakroom listing our birthdays. They always forget but then sometimes notice it later, so I'm (mostly) past getting my feelings hurt. I have my vacation week coming up end of the month though, so I will celebrate then. Still trying to process the whole "33" thing. I definitely don't feel 33, whatever that is supposed to entail. I try to not "mourn" the years or moan about how old I'm getting, though I'm tempted sometimes. I figure every year lived means I'm doing at least one thing right, even if the rest is a mess, so that's worth celebrating! Have an awesome weekend all!



You may also like

4 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Iris! Just as I suspected, my co-workers finally remembered and gave me a card- yesterday ;)

      Delete
  2. Hi dear! I'm so sorry about the lip shimmer fail. This might be a pratfall of me having to move faster than the speed of light to get the boxes out the door, but I'd be happy to send you a replacement shimmer. I didn't hear any reports of this from anyone else, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. (I believe we talked on email also.) Anyway, thanks so much for the review! I'd be really interested to know if the problem replicates in a different shimmer batch. - Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meredith! Thanks so much for the offer, but I really believe it had something to do with the weather at the time. There were some crazy temperature fluctuations going on around the time I got my box so it could have easily melted and solidified and just went a bit off. It's no biggie at all. We did talk on facebook once, I had some leakage with my bottle of Juliet I let you know about (now you know my secret identity, lol!) I do have a question though, I initially signed up for two seasons of the SA list-if I wanted to extend that, is there a way to do that or should I hop on the waiting list? Thanks for commenting too!

      Delete

Please leave me comments if anything strikes your fancy or if you have any helpful suggestions. Remember, I'm no expert and am just sharing my truth. Hopefully you will find something useful to take with you!

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts