Sweet Anthem SA List: Autumn 2014

/
0 Comments

It's time for another Sweet Anthem SA list review! This is the fall installment, and while subscriptions have ended for this year, you can still get on the waiting list here for when new subscriptions start opening up for next year. 

I really like the new format for these: adorable, handy tins. The sample vials were all individually baggie-d, with zero leakage, and are the larger, 2 ml style in Eau de Parfum format, so they last a long while. 





This collection included two new fall scents, Petra and Ella, a sample of Owl, and a freebie solid scent in Walden. Walden is one of my all time favorite Sweet Anthem scents and I'm almost two-thirds of the way finished with a 10 ml perfume spray, so I was extra thrilled to get a freebie in a scent I already adore.

If you want my thoughts on previous boxes, please check out my posts HERE and HERE.



Petra
American teenage nostalgia. Lingering candle smoke, tart cherry, a powdery, vintage style floral center, and a dry-down of real vanilla and resinous myrrh.

I knew going in that the likelihood of me liking this one was extremely slim, even though I've been trying to keep a super open mind with scents. It was the cherry that seals the deal here: cherry either goes almond on me, or cough syrup. Petra opens for me with a strong, bitter cough syrup mixed with candle smoke. Which, I must admit, is certainly unique and not anything I've encountered before. Still, I really disliked it. It's also really potent so I wasn't brave enough to try it on for a while. I took it to work and let my 
smell-buddy P smell it, telling him how much I didn't care for it, and he didn't like the cold sniff either. But he got a little on his hand and a couple minutes later he told me "you might not want to write this one off just yet- it's really changing." So I tried it again at home, and he was right. The cherry fades and eventually I get a non-foodie vanilla and a kind of exotic, resinous myrrh. It's a real morpher. The dry down is much more palatable for me. I wouldn't say I like it, but it's an interesting transition.




Ella
A dream is a wish your heart makes. Aldehydic lavender, smoky black tea and agarwood, strewn with pumpkin spices. Simple and stunning.


Oh yes. This one here is brilliant, you guys. I already know what I'm spending my SA list voucher on. This little beauty. It's full of my all time favorite notes and combined they create a fall scent that doesn't necessarily scream fall- it's not like the ubiquitous Pumpkin Spice EVERYTHING that's about to blow up the scene any day now. It's a bit more subtle than that. I love the cool pumpkin/lavender combo, and with the refreshing, brisk tea on cold sniff, and the soft pumpkin spices and the vintage, mysterious dustiness of the agarwood: classy gorgeousness. P's assessment was simply "lovely", as it's not something he would wear, but he did appreciate the artistry. 





Owl
Tyto alba – essence of a barn owl. A spicy bird and a tale from the rafters. Indolic jasmine, softened by mimosa and black and white ambers, warmed with Chai spices and juniper berry, all on a base of earthy, grassy, vetiver.

This one really does bring to mind a white barn owl, hanging out in the rafters of a big hay-filled loft. It's very cozy and comforting- in the same realm as Haus of Gloi's Cozy Sweater- totally different scents, mind you, but a similar aura about them.
When P tried it, he declared it as smelling too much of gin, which I found odd. I didn't think it smelled boozy or like soap, which is what I think gin tastes like. Then I looked at the notes again and realized he must be smelling the juniper berry. G told me once that a friend described gin as tasting "like a pinecone." Smelling it again I could understand that assessment. I guess this is sort of common knowledge, but neither of us are super well-versed in the drink department. Anyway, to me mostly it smells like spicy chai and soft, earthy airiness. There might be some jasmine in there but it's not indolic enough to bother me. I like this one quite a bit, but Ella is definitely my pick of the three.

I will keep on recommending the SA List to anyone that will listen. If Meredith opens up subs and you are even slightly intrigued by her scents, join! It more than pays for itself with the $10.00 gift vouchers, and it's a great way to try new scents, learn about unfamiliar notes, and figure out what you like.

Have a great day everyone!








You may also like

No comments:

Please leave me comments if anything strikes your fancy or if you have any helpful suggestions. Remember, I'm no expert and am just sharing my truth. Hopefully you will find something useful to take with you!

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts