Not My Lucky Day

/
2 Comments


It seems like 2015 has not been the best year for my family thus far. Since January, I've had one aunt die, an uncle died a couple weeks ago, and my dad was in the hospital last week with what may have been a mild heart attack. On Monday I was at my parent's house and their rambunctious dog accidentally ran into me from behind, made my knee buckle, and I fell hard and weirdly to the floor. It was an excruciating, screaming pain and it took a while before I could get up. I have already been having general trouble with my right knee before this, and the knee I hurt Monday was my left one, so I haven't been able to walk very well at all. I also bruised my tailbone nicely too. I went to the doctor yesterday, got x-rays done, and nothing is fractured so they just gave me some muscle relaxers and pain meds and sent me on my way. 

Oh, but not before while G and I were waiting in the examination room for the x-ray results, and I got a phone call from my dad letting me know that another aunt had died, my godmother who was the wife of my dear uncle H that died a couple years ago. Pretty horrifically, he said she had fallen and hit her head in the bathroom, and no one found her until a few days later, when she missed meeting someone and they called the sheriff to check on her.They had just found her yesterday morning. I'm utterly devastated about that; it's haunting me. No one should go like that. 

I have to look on the bright side or I'll go nuts, so one good thing is that my employer has been withholding local taxes from a city I don't actually live in for years. To keep it simple, it looks like I live in a certain locality based on the zipcode (I thought they were right), but for some reason they finally researched it and realized according to zoning maps, I'm actually in a tax-free township. And I work in a tax free township as well. So I've been paying this other city a hefty chunk of change needlessly for..let's say, multiple years. My last living uncle (fingers crossed for a long time) helped me fill out some refund request forms for 4 years, as far back as I can go. They didn't even seem too surprised when I turned them in, I'm guessing this may be a common issue. And I got a check from them already! So, barring any catastrophic illness or any other crap the universe wants to hurl our way, we're going to be able to get some new things, a new couch, new computer, a weekend away, among some other things I always think about but never have the extra cash for. So, there's the sunny side.

And Maisy. Maisy is my sunny side, too. Don't you just want to reach out and rub her belly? Go on now, she won't bite. 


Ah, there you go. A little kitteh belly rub makes everything better.

To better, sunnier days ahead. 

































You may also like

2 comments :

  1. I'm so sorry for your losses. I'm especially sorry about your godmother; my grandmother passed away years ago in a similar accident and wasn't found until a day or so after she passed. If someone had been home, my grandma may have made it.

    May you heal up soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting Iris! I'm getting better, slowly but surely. It could have been a lot worse, the way I fell. I know my aunt had recently had her knees replaced and was getting around pretty well, actually. Still, she lived alone and I keep thinking if only she had one of those medic alert bracelets or something, she may have been ok too. Can't dwell on the "what-ifs" for too long, but it's hard not to wonder.

      Delete

Please leave me comments if anything strikes your fancy or if you have any helpful suggestions. Remember, I'm no expert and am just sharing my truth. Hopefully you will find something useful to take with you!

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts