Sugar and Spite Wax Melts

/
1 Comments

Sorry for the radio silence lately. Things have improved since my last post. Oddly enough though, on the day of my aunt's funeral, our computer totally crashed. Now, the timing of this was good and bad. Good because we had already been planning on getting a new one and actually had the funds to do so with my tax refund. Bad because I was planning on getting a new PC in a couple weeks, once I'd had time to back up a bunch of pictures, music, etc. that I had been woefully negligent in maintaining properly. So because it decided to check out a week early, I lost a lot of stuff. I certainly learned my lesson! Now our new computer has arrived and I can get back to blogging.

Last month I participated in a wax melt pre-buy from Sugar and Spite. A regular TAT doesn't really apply here as it was a pre-buy. The owner, Lysa, had to order supplies, receive them, make the melts, and moved house at the same time. All in all the process took about a month. These were worth the wait!




I bought three 4 ounce bags of wax at $4.50 each, and received two shot-size samples free from what I believe is an upcoming release. When G got my package for me from the mailbox, he declared it "the best smelling package ever." And it did smell amazing!

These were packaged so nicely with wax seals, a cute fortune card, and labels with the notes and the pour dates listed, which I found handy. You could let these cure for two weeks from the pour date, but mine smelled plenty strong and nuanced a week in.

My first bar was in a bar soap shape, which was sturdy and held up perfectly in transit. This format is probably the prettiest for gift giving. Fortune (blood orange and amber) smells just like those things. It's a deeper, richer creamsicle, with a little bit of the tart raspberry notes that make blood oranges my pick for the sexiest fruit ever. I haven't melted this one yet but I will probably need a knife to cut into into chunks, it's too tough for me to break by hand.





OMG. The Prophetess (fluffy white cake, clotted cream, white musk, candied lemon slices and a wee dollop of raspberry jam) is my favorite, I think. It smells a helluva like Haus of Gloi's Beguiled, the scent I loved so much that I created a recipe a few years ago to simulate it. I actually made my Beguiled cake for Easter with G's family Sunday, and it went over very well!

Anyway, these melts came in thinner bars,  with a white "glaze" on top with glitter. They are more fragile and got a little broken up in the bag. I'm not sure which format I like better, maybe Lysa is still experimenting with it.

This one I have melted a few times already, and it's wonderful. Exactly like the description. It's potent and the scent fills our living room easily, even after three meltings. I like wax to be strongly scented, and these are. I've noticed these melt clean and true even after multiple meltings, and the scent lasts longer than other commercial wax melts I've tried. I don't get any weird, waxy base scent from these at all.



The last scent I ordered was Destiny (hot baked bread, caramelized pralines, coconut shreds, and a steaming cup of black tea.) This is just a nutty, rich, sweet bakery type scent with a hint of smokiness, which I'm guessing is the tea. I've never reviewed wax scents before, it's different because what you see (smell) is pretty much what you get; there's no dry down, no morphing, no changes due to body chemistry. From what I've tried so far, the scent in the solid bar smells the same as the melted wax.




Finally, regarding these two wee fellows, I have no idea what the notes are. These are from an upcoming release and the notes haven't been posted yet. I'm going to guess, and I'm betting I'm going to be way off. I'll update this post with the notes once they're released. Pennywise smells sweet, sort of like cotton candy or tutti frutti/ bubblegum, which I normally don't care for but there's something else there keeping it from being cloying. The only hint I have that I might be on track with this is the name, Pennywise, which means it's just got to be some sort of evil clown scent, right? Thorn is even more tricky. I want to say it's deep, sweet, and woodsy. Maybe a type of berry in there? There's something floral that reminds me of a freesia body wash I had a long time ago. I'm going to laugh when the notes are listed and I'm sure it will be totally obvious then what they're supposed to be!

EDIT: Just as I suspected!

 Pennywise - It (1990) Boozy buttered rum, toasted marshmallows, lemon gumdrops, and honeysuckle blooms. We all float down here.

Thorn - The Omen (1976) Warm zucchini bread, dead wood, maple, and tonka bean.


If you're interested in indie wax, I highly recommend trying these! 


You may also like

1 comment :

  1. And now I need some. Love me some Sugar and Spite 💙💙💙💙

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me comments if anything strikes your fancy or if you have any helpful suggestions. Remember, I'm no expert and am just sharing my truth. Hopefully you will find something useful to take with you!

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts