Sixteen92: Fall 2015

/
0 Comments


The forecast in my area today calls for a sunny 80 degrees, but here I am sitting with my Sixteen92 fall and Halloween 2015 Circle subscription samples. I'm not quite in fall mode yet (though that could happen any day now), so I feel like I can be somewhat objective about these, not yet sucked in by the promise of corn mazes, apple cider, chilly rain, and pumpkin all-the-things. 

In Part 1 today,  we have the Fall 2015 collection!





Bela Lugosi's Dead

night black clove bud, tobacco absolute, smoked benzoin resin, flame

This one is intense! Spicy-sweet with clove at first, with warm, almost syrupy hints of tobacco trailing not far behind. At the base there is a sense of smoke, of something gently smoldering. This is a scent I like a lot, but I think I prefer it on G, and he immediately took a liking to it as well. This has a similar vibe to Salem, minus the damp leaves and leather. 

(Every Day Is ) Halloween

an overflowing candy pail, the crunch of leather boots on fallen leaves, cold stones, damp air, and a wisp of bonfire smoke

This reminds me a lot of Grimm, with cocoa and earthy, damp notes. I'm not sure what kind of candy is supposed to be in the pail, but it smells like cocoa to me. There is a hint of wet, decaying organic matter that smells a little pungent and rotting, not necessarily in a bad way, but it is unnerving. Not as light-hearted as it sounds, this is more atmospheric. Like trick-or-treating on a dark, lonely street where you are the only one left out on the road, stealing nervous glances towards the shadows. I like this scent best when I catch little wafts of it floating around me, less so when I huff directly from my wrist.

Last Exit for the Lost

orchard apples, woven wood baskets, dried hay, distant chimney smoke on cool air

Apples! Lots of apples. Bushels of them, with hints of earthy, scratchy hay and very soft tendrils of smoke. This is a decidedly non-spicy apple. No apple pie or anything like that. These are fresh, raw and piled high in their baskets. Cooler, with suggestions of Cellar from Solstice Scents without the chill of the stone foundation. I like this on cold sniff much more with the apples being more prominent, but once it dries down the smoke and hay notes, it become kind of dull and nondescript to my nose, vaguely boring. I think I've encountered the same phenomenon with some other fruity scents from Sixteen92- Raven from last fall coming to mind, the Orchard Keeper from this spring. Shadow Show continues to be a favorite, however, so it may not be a trend but rather just a curious coincidence.


Lucretia, My Reflection

orris root, immortelle, white sandalwood, blackened vanilla, star anise

This smells like soft, powdery, muted anise at first with pale woodsy notes. As it dries down I get something very faintly warm and sweet. I've read that immortelle can smell honeyed, hay-like, even musky, so maybe that's what I'm smelling. It ends up as a comforting skin-scent with virtually no anise that I can detect. It's pretty and different from the others. Makes me think of a melancholy Victorian gentleman visiting the crypt of his long lost love, a la Ulalume.


Spellbound

Creamed pumpkin, spiced bourbon & Tahitian vanillas, sticky marshmallow fluff

Yummy! This is a creamier, boozier pumpkin than in the Anniversary scent Masquerade Party, which actually smelled kind of smoky on me. That one reminded me of a Haus of Gloi custom I made a while back with woodsmoke, caramel, pumpkin, and marshmallow. I used way too much woodsmoke in it and while I liked the smell, it wasn't really wearable for me as a perfume. But I digress...Spellbound is sweeter, it does have a sort of scented candle vibe, but that's not a problem for me, as this is delish. It fades to a pleasant, gooey marshmallow scent. It doesn't last much more than two hours on me, at best. But, all in all, it's a solid choice for those wanting to jump on the pumpkin spice bandwagon this fall. There might be others out there with better longevity though.


I liked this collection well enough, but none of them really stood out to me as potential full size buys. I found the Halloween Collection to be more compelling for me, and I am tempted by a couple of those. Reviewing those soon!





You may also like

No comments:

Please leave me comments if anything strikes your fancy or if you have any helpful suggestions. Remember, I'm no expert and am just sharing my truth. Hopefully you will find something useful to take with you!

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts