Cocoa Pink Haulage

/
0 Comments
Cocoa Pink is having an early Black Friday Sale from Friday, October 30th-Sunday, November 1st so I am cranking out this long overdue review! The sale will be for 10%-25% off your order depending on your purchase amount, and they also open up their entire scent list for purchase and custom scents. The order I'm reviewing today I got right before they switched to their fall/winter scent list.

Behold my haul!

I got :
Coco Mango Body Butter in Marshmallow Fireside
Shampink in Indian Donuts
Dry Oil Spray in Seaside Picnic
Hairspray in A Little Piece of Heaven
Squeaky shampoo in Tahitian Monoi Cake
Perfume Oil Drams in:
Butterfly Forest
Black Apple Noel
Indian Donuts
Cinderella's Carriage
Marshmallow Fireside
Fluffy Green Tea

I got free samples of their sugar scrub in Lavender Clouds and the Shine Sweetie conditioner in Bonfire Celebration


I'll cover the bath and body products first.

Coco Mango Body Butter

Love this formula. It soaks in quickly and isn't too heavy, but is rich enough to make a dent in my dry skin. It's tied for favorite body lotion with Haus of Gloi's Pumpkin Butter and Sugar and Spite's lotion. I got this in Marshmallows Fireside and it is a perfect layering scent to go with a lot of my fall perfumes.

 Shampink 

I've used this before and really liked it (and love that they changed that silly previous name, to be honest). It's sulfate free but it does still foam up pretty well. My hair is really fine and prone to being limp some days, staticky and frizzy other days. If I use this too many days in a row, my scalp does start feeling kind of greasy. So what I've discovered works best for me is to rotate products. One day I will use just this, the next I will wash first with the Squeaky shampoo, then with the Shampink, the day after that I will use a regular shampoo and then the Shampink. That's been keeping my hair from getting too weighed down or too dried out from sulfates. YMMV. I got this in the scent Indian Donuts- which is one of those confusing but delicious scents that are part floral, part gourmand. The scent isn't overwhelming, but I do catch whiffs of it when I dry my hair and it's warmed up, and I also smelled it a little when I got caught in the rain last week and my hair got wet. So, it sticks around but it's not too pervasive. Other scents might act differently. of course.

Dry Oil Spray

I haven't really used this much since yet since it's a more summery scent (Seaside Picnic- Airy whipped cream, snow white cake crumbles, cotton candy frosting, aromatic white tea, and coconut limeade tempered with gentle sea breezes).I would say it's slightly more oily than Solstice Scents' glaces, with a less fine mist, but not quite as greasy as CP's regular body oil spray. I find the glaces more versatile as I can almost use them as fragrance mists and don't mind getting a little on my hair, but this spray isn't really suited for that.

Hairspray 

I am loving this! It's not a super strong hold hairspray- it will not carry you through a windstorm unscathed. But it's not sticky and doesn't leave my hair crunchy, and the scent I got is strong and really gorgeous (A Little Piece of Heaven-Ceylon black tea accented with gentle notes of clean sun dried cotton, white rose petals, breezy transparent musk paired with dewy blades of summer grass.). It smells fresh, like roses and tea mostly- there is an alcohol base scent to it, but it fades quickly. It just smells like some fancy, expensive hairspray you'd get at a salon.

Squeaky Shampoo 

This is Cocoa Pink's clarifying shampoo. I love this scent- Tahitian Monoi Cake (Vanilla cake batter injected with candied citrus, moist white cake smothered in whipped buttercream icing touched with nuances of Polynesian Monoi oil).I hadn't tried this scent before but have read it's a strange tropical floral/cakey combo, and I thought it would make a nice shampoo, and it does smell like a sweet, dense cake with tropical nuances. I'm undecided about the formula. The texture is almost shower gel-like, and it doesn't foam much at all. I know it's psychological, but I like my shampoo to foam at least a little without having to use a ton of product. This is one I'm torn about. I like being able to choose my scent, and the fact it's sulfate free-but...I will finish this bottle before I decide if I will get it again.

Soft Bubbles Sugar Scrub

I got this in the Lavender Clouds scent (Sleepy Spanish lavender essential oils softly blended amongst French vanilla clouds and fluffy marshmallow pillows), and wow, I am really loving their marshmallow note. It's wonderfully fluffy and realistic. I have truthfully already finished the sample and am just going by memory- it's delicious and strangely edible-smelling because there's this sweet marshmallow and mellow, relaxing herbal lavender, and it left my brain confused. Do I eat it, or stuff a dream pillow with it? The texture is kind of fun to poke at- spongy and bouncy feeling. Not super foamy, I wouldn't use it as a soap replacement, but it's got a nice grittiness to it, and some light lather.

Shine Sweetie Conditioner 

 This is a thick conditioner, more like a hair mask, so I've only used this maybe once a week or so, and it does the job. I just use it on my ends only and leave it for a few minutes, and it does soften and detangle nicely. The scent was Bonfire Celebration (White sand, cool salty sea air meet with the fragrances of sandalwood, sparkling, pink champagne and wisps of smoke from a crackling bonfire), which I've tried before and smells nice, but not so much like the description. Mostly like dryer sheets.


And now, the perfume oils!


 Butterfly Forest

 Warm sunbeams peek quietly through majestic, ancient oak trees entangled within lush English ivy setting the paper thin wings of Pipevine Swallowtails, Painted Ladies, and Monarchs aglow in a breathtaking display of color. Purple sandalwood, ancient wood, English Ivy, Firelight Peony petals, snow white musk and a single drop of Oud.

 I get soft, diffusive woods and some airy florals, and can definitely get some fresh white musk too. I like this most on cold sniff and after first applying. Once it's dried down it loses some complexity, and reminds me of stealing sniffs of jars of face cream and body lotions from my mom or grandma's dresser as a child. It just makes me think of those dainty tubs of perfumey lotion from Avon that I thought were so fancy and mysterious when I was little. I wish the initial application scent lasted longer, as it's really lovely. The dry down goes to fancy face cream with a little soapiness. It lasts quite a while once it dries down-I wore it overnight and got traces of it the next morning.

Black Apple Noel

  CP Black, juicy Golden Delicious apples smothered  in a mouthwatering sticky sweet caramel coating and rounded out with ghostly ribbons of vanilla bean noel.

This is a blast of caramel on cold sniff. The caramel registers as a little sharp and medicinal (alcohol-y?) almost to my nose on cold sniff, but it goes away when I put it on and it smells delicious. The apple is fairly muted throughout, it's not a particularly bright, tart, or juicy apple to me. The vanilla bean noel is a lot more prominent. I haven't tried their "Black" note on its own so I'm not sure where it's at exactly, but as a whole this is a sweet, foodie scent with some deeper, perhaps amber tones. It's not a super dark or heavy scent at all though, just rich.


Indian Donuts
 cakey sugary donuts with pistachios, cardamom, a splash of rose water and a dusting of powdered sugar.
I got this mostly to compare with Solstice Scents' Cardamom Rose Sugar, which to me smells precisely like gulab jamun. That scent is heavier on the cardamom and brown sugar notes, with only a faint hint of rose to me. This scent inverts that profile. It is much heavier on the rose, with some sweetness and very little spiciness and bite from the cardamom. It is a gentler, softer scent, more "perfumey" than Cardamom Rose Sugar, which to me is way more gourmand. I like it a lot though- but I find CRS to be a more in-your-face literal representation of the thing than Indian Donuts. 



Cinderella's Carriage
 What did Cinderella really wish for? We think it was this blend of Coconut Cream Pie with Marshmallow Meringue, Sweet Pumpkin, Spiritueuse Double Vanilla, and Vanilla Bean Noel. We think this is the REAL reason the prince fell in love, who could resist Cinderella in sexy foodie?

 I think I get why this is a popular scent! It's this mash-up of the yummiest gourmand scents- cake, vanilla, pumpkin, marshmallow. I don't really get any coconut cream pie but the scent is plenty busy without it. It is VERY sweet, it reminds me of a gourmand you might find at Bath at Body Works, but made just better. The dry down is mostly a strong dose of vanilla bean noel. I sort of prefer it after first applying when I get more cake and pumpkin, but if you like super sweet gourmands, this would be a safe bet.


Fluffy Green Tea

We took our fabulous Green Tea and blended it with Marshmallows.  A customer’s special request!

This one doesn't really work for me. I like tea scents, I like marshmallow. But in this one- I don't care for them together. The green tea smells authentic to me, to its credit, it's not a generic, impressionistic spa green tea, it's quite astringent,clean, and bracing. But paired with the sweet marshmallow I keep getting a chemical-ly, antiseptic tone that's off-putting. It just isn't my style, I guess.

 Marshmallow Fireside
Toasted vanilla marshmallows over a roaring fire.  An excellent rendition of BBW's version.
Can someone please explain to me why Bath and Body Works has never (to my knowledge) turned their Marshmallow Fireside candle scent into a proper bath and body line? It's an egregious oversight, in my opinion. Maybe a "smoky" scent on the body is seen as too "out there" for the general clientele, I don't know. It's just silly. So I've been looking a long time for a perfume scent that smells like the candle, and this here is it. My HG toasted marshmallow. Sweet, sweet relief! It's a perfect balance of warm, cozy, charred wood and lightly crispy, caramelized marshmallows. It's not nearly as smoky as Solstice Scents Smoky Mountain Mallow, and is more toasted than Sixteen92's Toasted Marshmallow, which is mostly fresh marshmallow to me. I got it as an oil and a lotion and think it's also a perfect layering scent. It translates really cleanly to lotion format, too. I still get all the nuances of the oil in the lotion, which doesn't always happen.

Alright, now go forth and buy all the things!


You may also like

No comments:

Please leave me comments if anything strikes your fancy or if you have any helpful suggestions. Remember, I'm no expert and am just sharing my truth. Hopefully you will find something useful to take with you!

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts