Scents of Summer

/
0 Comments
Today I'm going to do a quick and dirty round-up of indie scents that I reach for time and again during the summer. Some are old favorites I've loved for years, others are new that I'm just now falling in love with. Here we go!

Coquina (Solstice Scents): Sandalwood, Orange Blossom, Clementine EO, Beach sand, Plumeria Absolute, Coconut, Ginger EO, and a Splash of Seaspray.

Warm, tropical coconut with a hefty dose of fresh orange blossom anchored with a woodsy drydown. Pretty much one of my all time favorite summery, beachy scents. Vacation in a bottle.


White Feather (Solstice Scents): Estate Vanilla, Jasmine Absolute, Gardenia Enfleurage, Saffron Co2, Sandalwood, Spices, Amber, Oud, Patchouli, Ylang Ylang

 I have a mini spray of this that I bought last summer- I don't think I could ever spring for a full size bottle but I will most likely repurchase a mini. This is such a gorgeous scent, and a miraculous one at that-it's a jasmine heavy scent that I actually love. It's a little indolic upon first spraying it, but it settles quickly into a stunning white floral with creamy, spicy-sweet and incense notes. I wore it several times this week to work-one of the perks of a new, huge building is that I don't feel as self conscious trying my more intense scents-and I got compliments on it every day!

Tenebrous Mist (Solstice Scents): Musk, White Amber, Sea Spray, Sandalwood, Bay Rum, Tea, Smoke

 A badass ocean scent-this one is salty, musky, sweet, woodsy-complex and darker than your typical aquatic.

Moon Dog (Haus of Gloi):   Solar storms erupt: cracked coconut, dry sandalwood essense, heated with nutmeg and clove

For those looking for a non-sweet coconut: this is dry and tinged with spiciness. It has a tenacious warmth to it.



Beguiled (Haus of Gloi):Lemon cake made with the tang of fresh buttermilk and raspberry coulis-an otherwise innocent cake corrupted by cardamom and deceptive pink peppercorns

THE lemon cake scent. It's sweet lemon cake, a hint of jamminess. Utterly addictive. Ya'll know I made a real Beguiled Cake several years ago. It's yummy.

 
Neroli XXIII (Alkemia): neroli (orange blossom), wild bergamot, mandarin, french lavender, lemon myrtle, rosemary, petitgrain, marigold, Sambac jasmine, parchment paper, amber santal, angelica root, palmarosa, tonka, and rosewood.

This is one of Alkemia's really magical scents that smells super expensive and fancy- lots of orange blossom with a little clean soapiness- this makes me think of swimming all day at the pool as a child, then taking a warm shower in the locker room with whatever soap and shampoo my mom brought, and how I always felt a million times cleaner and fresher than on an average day. Raising the ordinary to extraordinary.

 Sun Dried Laundry in Summer Rain (Alkemia):Stonewashed linen and clean, sun-dried cotton billowing gently on an old fashioned clothesline spattered by the first gently ozonic drops of a summer rain

 Fresh laundry smell, but better. Hints of rain-soaked stone, and an almost airy fruitiness. Soft, inobtrusive, good work or hot weather scent.

Desiderata (Alkemia):The exquisitely simple beauty of an evening stroll on a warm June evening. Fresh honeysuckle blooming under a rising full moon, ivy vines, dew dampened grass, riverbed clay, old barnwood, and earthy vetivert root. 

 Warm july evenings, catching fireflies in the backyard. Watching the sunset. Green earthiness, heady honeysuckle- just gorgeous.

County Fair (Alkemia):The nostalgic scent of an old-fashioned American carnival midway - pink cotton candy, hot kettle corn, freshly fried dough, candied apples, and saltwater taffy.

 It's not summer without a trip to the carnival- this is popcorn and sugary dough, festive and warm. A good choice for "pink sugar" type scent lovers, but looking for something deeper and more complex.

Mishigami (Darling Clandestine): Inspired by that greatest of lakes, Lake Michigan, my very favorite lake in the world, and all its moods and shores. Much more than an "aquatic" fragrance, this has indescribable, sandy depth

One of my favorite aquatics- somehow it actually IS more of a fresh lake than a salty ocean. How does it do that? And it really does have a slightly gritty sandiness to it as well.

Cloudswing (Darling Clandestine):A tumble in the hay! Lemongrass and vanilla and resiny wood and marigolds and new-mown clover and sun. A summer favorite---especially since the lemongrass gives it the added bonus of discouraging mosquitos.

I don't normally like lemongrass- it either reminds me of savory Thai food or cleaning products, but this is a creamy, earthy, sunny-sweet lemongrass. It is a decidedly happy scent-makes me think of long summer days playing on my cousin's farm, hiding in the hayloft, then wandering the fields, searching for adventure.

Athena (Sugar and Spite): Dark vanilla, patchouli, pepper, ivy, sea spray

Another favorite aquatic, this is a darkly sweet seaspray scent with a base of patchouli, but it doesn't smell like patch really, it's not super obvious and not at all heavy. I get compliments on this every time I wear it, it just grabs people's attention. The vanilla/aquatic combo is unusual and should defiinitely happen more often.

New Radio (Sixteen92): Vanilla milkshake accord, maraschino cherry, pink lemonade, grass clippings, waffle cone
  
This has a festive carnival feel to it, and smells more like an orange creamsicle to me than cherries, which is fine with me. I layer it with Haus of Gloi's Satyr (dark vanilla and orange) and they really smell quite complementary. A generally fun summer scent.

Tahitian Monoi Cake (Cocoa Pink):Vanilla cake batter injected with candied citrus, moist white cake smothered in whipped buttercream icing touched with nuances of Polynesian Monoi oil.

This is a weird one- a flower should not smell so edible! This is creamy, waxy gardenia and rich, dense yellow cake. Strange but so, so delicious.


Surf (Arcana):Orange blossoms with beach coconut, skin musk, and warm sand.

If you like orange blossom, you kind of have to try this one. It has a similar vibe to SS's Coquina, but this is a little cooler and fresher, not as deep or heady. It's a fresh-from-the-ocean tropical scent. Adore it.

Halo (Deconstructing Eden):Moonlight, sea water, lilacs, wisteria, honeysuckle and moonflower

If this scent had a color, it would be a cool lavender- a relaxing scent that makes me think of twilight on a boat, falling asleep to the bobbing of waves. Gentle white flowers and watery notes- pretty, and it smells expensive, to boot!


I'm sure I've missed some but if you're on the prowl for some awesome indie scents for warm weather, these will be a good place to start!




You may also like

No comments:

Please leave me comments if anything strikes your fancy or if you have any helpful suggestions. Remember, I'm no expert and am just sharing my truth. Hopefully you will find something useful to take with you!

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts